• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhatEver

Don't you ever wonder how some of the pros get the hang of this stuff so quick?

This topic is 6376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been playing with OpenGL for about a year and a half now, and I still don''t know as much as the pros do. There''s a ton of stuff to learn to understand everything to the point where you can optomize it. I was thinking back about Quake 1. That game was software rendered! It had dynamic lighting just like todays Hardware Renderers. It even ran smooth on a pentium 1. How come I can''t get a scene with 1000 polys to run fast with OpenGL damnit =)! Gah, hardware incompatabilities!!!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Doing Quake1 in software is much more impressing than doing Quake3 in OpenGL. I see fantastic OpenGL works all the time done by "normal" programmers.

1000 polys is also not a very small number to display in a scene.

quote:
Doing Quake1 in software is much more impressing than doing Quake3 in OpenGL.

Maybe..but what does OpenGL offer? Texture mapping (at least I''m sure that''s all iD would take advantage of). A software texture mapper isn''t hard to write. (Well, it was in pmode assembly. Er... ). Ahh bollox - the guy''s a git.

>>I''ve been playing with OpenGL for about a year and a half now, and I still don''t know as much as the pros do. There''s a ton of stuff to learn to understand everything to the point where you can optomize it.<<

ive been making games since 1983. but more to the point ive been doing opengl for over 2 years now and directx for a bit longer than that and ive only just started to reach quake3 rendering speeds, well 95% of it . the thing is there are no easy answers for fast rendering ie its a lot of small things to improve the framerate.
literally my engine is now 3x quicker than it was 6 months ago.

rambling a bit but basically all im trying to say there are no easy answers to fast rendering

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Try this link, read it all, after i read it and tried a fiew things, i got some extra speed out of my engine.

http://www.mesa3d.org/brianp/sig97/perfopt.htm

If you think about it, it took from his first line of code to Quake for Carmack to learn how to write Quake.

You can''t expect to have all his years of experience in one year. I''ve been programming going on 12 years or so and I''m only 20. I''ve only been using DirectX for about 3.

Those 9 years prior with mostly BASIC greatly come in handy. It''s all concepts anyway.

Ben

Dont forget,

Quake was not an easy task,
not even for Carmack,

He spent alot of time reprogramming parts that he thought were not perfect to see if he could get more speed.

So if your looking for speed, I would suggest thinking about re-programming what you have (but save your code you have now) and see If you can get any more speed out of it.

I''ve been programming for 5 years, so the programming part is no problem. Before I start coding any particular game, I want to get the best rendering speeds.

I''ll check out your link Slinger. As for reprogramming what I have, there isn''t much to re-program. It''s just the drawing routine that I''m having trouble with.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!