Don't you ever wonder how some of the pros get the hang of this stuff so quick?

Started by
37 comments, last by WhatEver 23 years, 2 months ago
OpenGL is only for beginners!!!!
I dont even know why "Carmack" is sticking around with it!!

Well, its pretty clear that all the current games coming use D3D except the "Biased Carmack" & i guess D3D is the right path!!

D3D is really simple to use once u get the hang of it. Do not settle for OpenGL at all costs(if u r a beginner & u r makin a decision on the API that is)

Later,

Raptor
Advertisement

An API is just an API, there''s no point in making a religion out of it... Real programmers know both, and support both.

Heh... besides... with the way Direct3D is going these days, I think someday MS will make it be EXACTLY like OpenGL.

- code
RATOR if opengl is only for beginners why aint u using it

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
Carmack didn''t write the whole of the Quake I engine, nor did he write the whole of the Quake III engine. When I look at the credits for both products, it looks like there are three programmers for Quake I (I don''t know how many there are for Quake III, I don''t own a copy, it doesn''t run on my computer (OpenGL driver incompatibility)).

As for using Direct3D over OpenGL, that won''t give you an instant speed boost, because:
a) Moving from OpenGL, you won''t know how to make Direct3D run quickly, because you''ll have been using OpenGL for all that time, right?
b) You have to learn a whole other API which is inconvenient to say the least.
So if you are having speed problems in an OpenGL application, switching to Direct3D won''t fix it. And vice-versa.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

quote:Original post by simon_brown75

Anonypous Moster/
Read the whole post and you''ll see it wasn''t a criticism of the Quake engine. I know all about the difficulties of getting decent frame rates in 3D when you''re restricted by pixel plotting speed. You should see how slow *my* software texture mapper is

Read my whole post and you''ll realise I wasn''t talking about pixel plotting speeds.
Gee Brain, what we gonna do tonight?
"RATOR if opengl is only for beginners why aint u using it"

we arent usin it cuz we arent BEGINNERS!!

Raptor
Anonypous Moster/

It's basically the same problem. VESA bottlenecks are the cause, slow vram access is the symptom.

Whether you're working with VGA or VESA, or even DirectDraw, the inability to plot pixels quick enough is what kills performance in software 3d engines. That's the only point I was making. The original poster wasn't talking about software 3d as it happens anyway. I thought he was trying to get his software engine as fast as quake in software. Oh well...nevermind

Edited by - simon_brown75 on February 1, 2001 2:27:57 PM
Raptor, to say OpenGL is for beginners is a pretty idiotic statement to say, at the least. Just because programmers can create great 3D graphics easier then they can in DirectX does not mean it is for beginners at all.

You appear like you''re trying to sound all "elite" and "top-notch" at programming because you claim to only program in DirectX. Now I respect either API a person programs in, but when they say one is for better programmers and the other is for beginners, is ridiculous.

Tell me, what engine do you think was harder to create. Unreal, or Quake3''s? But I guess since Quake3 was coded in OpenGL, Carmack must be a beginner.

The only reason anyone who doesn''t know OpenGL at this point should reconsider using it, is because Microsoft might end support for it, rendering your knowledge of the API useless.

hasnt this topic been knocked on the head yet

>>The only reason anyone who doesn''t know OpenGL at this point should reconsider using it, is because Microsoft might end support for it, rendering your knowledge of the API useless<<

its the cards venders job to supply the opengl drivers for the graphics card not ms''s

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement