• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pc-jlopez

Any good engine???

This topic is 7046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
why don't you get VC++ ? The student versions are really cheap. If you've got that compiler, you can use many different free engines and will have less problems, optimized code, compatibility, a very good debugger, ...

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Advertisement
Look at engines list site. I think here is somewere link to it (i don't remember). There is a tons of free/sharware/commercial 2d/3d engines.

Also, take a look at CrystalSpace crystal.linuxgames.com

about optimized code in VC++ - i don't think any compiler can make code faster and better than Watcom C++. Why all people forget about Watcom?

FlyFire/CodeX
http://codexorg.webjump.com

The VC code is better optimized than DJGPP, not better than Watcom, but Watcom is less supported and has an ugly IDE. And if I compare VC++ and DGJPP, this is a pro for VC++.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

I heard from a reliable source that Microsoft (in typical Microsoft fashion) hired a couple of Watcom's top optimization gurus a few years ago, and I have heard of independent tests demonstrating that VC++ generates faster code now.

BUT, rather than starting a compiler war, let's get back to the original question. On the main page, click on Resources under the Directories section, and you will find a link to the 3D Engines List. You should be able to find something there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
ummm, ok

The 3D engines list is at http://www.cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html

If you can't find an engine there then give up looking.

Watcom is old, dead news - they've lost the edge. I remember the days when trying to beat Watcom's compiler at optimisation was incredibly difficult.

Watcom USED to have the fastest code generator, they no longer do; it's VC now people - that compiler is amazing.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hubert: What VC can do better than Watcom? (i'm talking about last one, v11.0)
Also, it can be fully compatible with it.

Hi, i'm looking for a good 3d engine for DJGPP (DOS port of the gnu C/C++ compiler). If you know any one please post.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!