Adventure Style Game (like in the old days)

Started by
4 comments, last by idx 23 years, 2 months ago
Can anyone out there more-or-less tell how an adventure/quest game (like the monkey island series) is structured (''cause i''m thinking of programming one) but i''m not exactly sure how to make the character(s) progress further into the game. idx Every Morning is the Dawn of a new error...
Every Morning is the Dawn of a new error...
Advertisement
I wrote an FMV adventure game 6 years ago called "Cradle Quest 2: Build a Better Mouse Trap." About 20 minutes of video and just barely fits on a single CD. I''ve updated the quality since the original capture.

Progression is simply the collecting of items. You move the character along by having special hot spots within a scene that link to another scene.

Then within each scene you define what it takes to activate those hot spots. There''s always a bike in the garage for instance. But you needed to get the keys from the house that are lost in the couch to unlock it. There are quite a few places to go but you have to talk to people to learn about them so you can select to go there.

I''ll post it on my site to download if you want to see it work. I''m not sure what it is compressed but you''ll definitly need at least DSL to download it.

I also converted it to TI-85 BASIC and it''s available at ticalc.org. As far as I know it''s the only graphical adventure game for the TI.

There is a CQ1 but it''s a top down scrolling maze game. And CQ3 exists only in script form.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Ben,

Thanks for your effort (to reply). This was the idea that I had in my head but I just wanted to justify my theories. Thanks very much. I appreciated it.

idx

quote:
I also converted it to TI-85 BASIC and it''s available at ticalc.org. As far as I know it''s the only graphical adventure game for the TI.

That''s insane! Will it run on a 92 (only one I got)? Probably not eh?

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
not unless your 92 can emulate the 85
There are TI-8x emulators out there. The TI is actually a good place to learn programming since it forces you to optimize and do things a little differently. And there''s really nothing it can''t do. It just does it kinda slow.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement