buy a game engine or make one?

Started by
11 comments, last by NLDEV 18 years ago
I was wondering (for the near future) whether I should buy a game engine or make my own. If I buy one, I get a premade engine which lets me focus more on making the game. However, if I make one, it costs nothing except a little more time. Which one would you suggest? If I buy one, it'll be Tourqe. However, if I make one, I'll probably follow the directions in the book "3d game engine programming". Thanks!
Advertisement
Didn't you just ask if you should start with a text game? (Have you read that reply yet? Good stuff.)

If you are literally just starting with game development, you need to focus on learning the basics first (IMO). Get the idea of designing/implementing some game, then some familiarity with graphics stuff (if you don't already have it), THEN consider using an engine.

My opinion, of course.
If you don't have any experience writing your own game engines, it won't take just a little extra time. It is a project in it's own. In that case, you are probably better off using an existing engine. Torque is in my oppinion more like scripting together a game, although they do supply you with the source code.
Use the Wild Magic engine and to get into it, buy the book "3D Game Engine Architecture"
First of all as someone who appears to just be starting out (I saw your other thread), make sure you learn the basics first or an engine won't be of much use to you.

As to your question, do you want to make a game or do you want to learn? If you just want to make a game you're much better off using as much existing technology as you can, so it would be well worth investing in an existing engine. Unless you're planning something particularly simple, creating your own engine wouldn't simply add a little extra time, it's quite a difficult and time consuming task, and one that isn't neccesarily required to create a good quality game. If you want to learn a lot then creating your own engine can be an excellent experience, but keep in mind that for your first time even more so than others it'll take you quite a long time and probably be fairly difficult.

Hope that helps. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

However, if I make one, it costs nothing except a little more time

a little more time !
For what ? A Torque like engine , do you mean ?
You could buy the new Unreal engine, but it's quite expensive. This is an incredibly good engine though.
Alex C. BarberiChief Executive OfficerVisionForcehttp://www.visionforceweb.com
There are free engines out there. Might try one of those first before buying one, it may be enough for your needs.
----------------------------------------MagosX.com
Quote:Original post by Magos
There are free engines out there. Might try one of those first before buying one, it may be enough for your needs.

This is true. I use Irrlicht myself. That being said, it took me a while before I could go from console text games to Irrlicht games. I still have a long way to go before I get to where I want to be, but making my own engine isn't it at all for me, though some people may want to.
OP: Start small and don't get ahead of yourself. If you do, more than likely you will burn out, give up, and then you won't be thinking about making games at all because it will get boring for you. Start slow, you will get there. Remember, most game engines aren't made by one person in one night, or even one month. Irrlicht is pretty much done by one person, but it has been a while since he started, and he isn't near done yet. AAA title engines(Torque, Unreal, Doom) engines often take years to develop by teams of 10 or more people. And then on top of that, that is just the engine, not an actual game. Think about this. How many years was Doom 3 in development, and by just how many people???? One person can make games that DO sell, but it takes time, practice, and determination. I'm not selling my games yet(they aren't good enough), and I've been programming for about 4 years.

I would buy Torque.
I have bought it and i am very happy!
There is a great Community behind Torque!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement