D3DXCreateFont problem

Started by
4 comments, last by pteri498 18 years ago
Probably a simple problem I'm not seeing the solution to immediately. I'm on a Drunken Hyena tutorial to get id3dxfont working. I followed the code on the tutorial and input the following:
	if(FAILED(D3DXCreateFont(*(graphics->getDevice()),24,0,FW_NORMAL,1,false,DEFAULT_CHARSET,
		OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS,ANTIALIASED_QUALITY,DEFAULT_PITCH|FF_DONTCARE,
		"Arial",&g_font))) return false;

// Render function
g_font->DrawTextW(NULL, "Testing text", -1, &rText, DT_LEFT|DT_NOCLIP, 0x00000000);

Both lines there kick back the same error: main.cpp(67) : error C2664: 'D3DXCreateFontW' : cannot convert parameter 11 from 'const char [6]' to 'LPCWSTR' main.cpp(135) : error C2664: 'ID3DXFont::DrawTextW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [13]' to 'LPCWSTR' Anyone know what I can do with this?
Advertisement
Can you please show us the definition of your DrawTextW() function?

this post may be of help

n.

You know that article does look interesting. I tried turning off the Unicode character set option, but that produces a huge problem for me. Why? About a good month's work of trial-and-error coding is built around that unicode option. Most of my code uses wchar_t, and to turn off the unicode option invalidates much of my code in the following way:

direct3d.cpp(52) : error C2664: 'D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileA' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'wchar_t *' to 'LPCSTR'

So changing to a non-unicode character set is, unfortunately, not an option for me. (It's not just the one error, there are several occurences of this type of error)

I think I figured something out though. I don't know how it slipped by me, but I preceded my text inputs with an L, which fixed all my problems in the past:

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateFont(*(graphics->getDevice()),24,0,FW_NORMAL,1,false,DEFAULT_CHARSET,OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS,ANTIALIASED_QUALITY,DEFAULT_PITCH|FF_DONTCARE,L"Arial",&g_font))) return false;	g_font->DrawText(NULL, textSample, -1, &rText, DT_LEFT|DT_NOCLIP, 0x00000000);

This no longer produces errors, but now there's nothing being displayed on the screen. On breakpoint, the g_font object gives me no useful information, only several addresses but no readable values attached to anything.

Anyone see anything obviously wrong with this?

Edit: Strangely enough, while "DrawText" is not listed by intellisense, I can use that function as opposed to DrawTextW or DrawTextA. I edited the code in this post to reflect that.

[Edited by - pteri498 on March 25, 2006 7:36:30 AM]
Make sure you put an 'L' before your strings, so that the compiler knows that they are wide character strings.

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateFont(*(graphics->getDevice()),24,0,FW_NORMAL,1,false,DEFAULT_CHARSET,		OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS,ANTIALIASED_QUALITY,DEFAULT_PITCH|FF_DONTCARE,		L"Arial",&g_font))) return false;	// Render function	g_font->DrawTextW(NULL, L"Testing text", -1, &rText, DT_LEFT|DT_NOCLIP, 0x00000000);

xyzzy
All righty! I figured out why my text wasn't showing up! My problem was setting the first two numbers in my color code to zero, which effectively renders my text invisible. All right, thanks a lot guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement