Horror game bosses question

Started by
21 comments, last by ZenMagnum 17 years, 11 months ago
I am not sure if I am posting this question in the right area since I am new here. But the question is this. Do you think the idea of a boss chasing you from screen to screen is a bad move? Or do you think it should only follow so long? This is for horrror games only. And would you give it the ability to break down things to get to your character? Such as walls, doors, windows, etc. I would really appreciate serious replies... thank you
Bruce Turner
Advertisement
Go for it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, if done well, and you can get past the technical aspects of it.
Discordian, yo.
If a boss did that, it would be pretty sweet. Especially in a horror game. You run off screen thinking your safe, only to see the wall come crashing down and the monster running straight for you.
See thats exactley what I want. I want people to feel as if their safe but in all reality they are not. The bosses are there to scare the living hell out of the player besides wanting them dead. And I appreciate the comments that I have gotten thus far. And I hope to see more..Thanks to the people that responded to my post....Bruce aka Duncan
Bruce Turner
When you say "boss" do you mean like Resident Evil: Nemesis boss that chases you throughout the entire game or do you mean end of level boss?

If your talking like Nemesis then just like RE you will have to have certain places where the boss can't follow 'cus i wouldn't want the boss chasing me non-stop throughout the entire game. It would be too similar to having to complete the game within a specific time period and that might not always be fun.

If your talking end of level boss then i guess it's ok for the boss to chase you non-stop, even breaking down walls, doors, windows etc if they have to.

Check out our latest game: Xen The Alien

i dont really get this...

what do u mean by "screen to screen"?
I like it when there is some sort of scripted boss sequence; I think it really adds to the game. However, Hexgear is right, don't have the boss follow through the entire game(or even halfway). Just have a sequence where it breaks through several rooms chasing you, whilst you run from it. Although, in devil may cry, there was this spider boss earlier on in the game. You had to fight him and then he sinks into the ground(and you think he died) but in the next level, some five or six rooms later, he drops from the ceiling and chases you through this hallway, busting up the floor and pillars in the hall, and you are forced to run. At the end of the hall, in the next room, you confront him and kill it. It really had a more involved feeling to it that added a slight shock when he drops in front of your charactor.(he was no small spider, either, being almost twice your size.[smile])
Another good example to work of of besides DMC would be the first X-men legends. At one point you fight juggernaut in the mansion and you need to keep up with him throughout the rooms as he crashes though everything. Then in each room you'll fight a bit then continue chasing again. Finally in Professor Xavier's office he stops and you finish him off. I know you want the boss to be chasing you instead of the other way around but its the same concept to build off of.
First of all I would like to say thanks to all who posted their comments to this post. And I can now give you more details about the scenario I was working on. And from what I read from your replies I have read them and understand what would and what would not work. And I definitly can see your point of views. Ok here is the situation with the boss. Well one of the bosses that is.

Example:

Let's say you happen to be going through an area of the city looking for stronger weapons, possible escape route, or maybe even a way to progress further into the city. Since some areas are inaccesible due to debris and or other objects you are having to bypass an area that it is in. Any ways let's just say one the boss i am referring to from the posts sees you. Of course it will then chase you, and try to kill you. Since the thing will be on your player in a matter of seconds, your only option other than fighting is to run away. But the boss will be on your heels. And lets just say that there is a building that you can go into. So now you have two choices other than fighting or running. To hide or not to hide in one of the many rooms.

So lets say that u decide not to hide but keep going, the boss would then follow you from room to room or from area to area, but only go so far. And then stop. Because it has lost interest in the chase or some thing else gets it's attention.

To answer the screen to screen comment here it is.

Like for instance in resident evil 2 when you encounter MR.X (the Grey Looking guy with the Green Lab coat). On Scenario B when you take the lighter to light the torches in that one room to get the cog wheel. He then gets into the room with you. Once you have the item and exit through the door, which the new screen loads and once the game has resumed, MR. X breaks through the wall to get to you. Of course you might get hit. But he has followed you from one screen to the next. Even though he busted down a part of the wall.

But as to my question, do you think it would add to the scariness of the game if the boss did more than just break down a wall? In my opinion i would like to see him break down a door or smash through a window to get to you. Whether or not he follows you. In the end I am only looking to add more scary parts to the game project i am working on. I hope this answers some of your questions. If not I truly apologize and will try better next time.

Bruce Turner
it's a good idea. but of course, bosses have the tendency of chasing people alot, without giving up. which is what make Nemesis NOT so realistic all the time.
But heart pumping all the more.

but it all rounds up to what kind of monster you we are dealing here. I went through your process of how I could make it realistic. It was tough since my monster is supremely fierce, fast, agile and ....well the final element was the key.

There's are plenty of ways to find out how a monster can give up chasing a victim. there are ways indeed.
But if a monster leaves a hole in the wall, the hole's gotta be there forever. and if this monster does chase you all the time, then what happens if you appear in areas where other creatures lurk? You have to find alot of possibilites, then add a few elements to how the monster would stop chasing you, in order to stop leaving holes in the entire game of course.

For me, I found mine. truly effective. but not perfect. just take time. but it's cool man. the only problem with horror games producing mosters like that is that they don't make it realistic, or it doesn't really make sense.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement