Sign in to follow this  

[web] Problem Embedding videos using absolute paths

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently developing a media interface for my local LAN. I have some php scripts in /home/media/public_html/ which displays a list of all files in a set directory outside of the apache dir ( /mnt/networkdrive/ ). Now, it appears when using an embedded media player such as wmp or quicktime, it takes the src property as relative to the apache root directory when using absolute addressing. However I need it to take it from the system root. I have tried doing src="../../../mnt/networkdrive" but with no joy. Anyone know how to access videos outside of the apache dir when using an embedded movie player?

further to the above problem:

I tried a temporary workaround by creating a syslink in the apache dir back to the system root, and added that to the start of the link. It appears to work, with the browser now showing "retrieving data", however i get the following error from media player:

"An operation failed due to a certification failure."

I have checked file permissions on the files and set them to be read/write for everyone, but still have no joy :(

You cannot embed data that are not actualy available on your hosted sites, since it's the browser parsing the path, and not your server.

The second problem has nothing to do with file permissions, sounds more like a DRM issue.

Quote:
Original post by Tradone
if you are on a UN*X system, you can try symbolic links.

see my second post.. When I say syslink i mean symbolic link :P

I have found another solution which I need to play with. Rather than including the path to the file, you include the path to a php script, which then opens the file on the HD and outputs the correct headers and the contents.

I tried this quickly the other day, but got an error that the number of bytes exceeded the limit (8mb limit). I need to open files that are about 1gb in size, so I dont know how well this is going to work, even if i raise the limit. Will it stream or copy the whole lot first? ...... :S

I'm not too sure about this, but I believe the old apache versions let you do those kind of things. They can cause serious security issues though. I believe I was able to do that in the old 1.3x versions. If they can have access to outside of the httpdocs folder, they will have access to your /etc/passwd file and other things as well I'm assuming, unless you change permissions for all files and such, but changing file permissions can be a very time consuming job.

Another bad method but similar method is: Let's say you are running the web server under the user name of "web" set his home directory as "/" (this is a real bad idea just a quick and disgusting method)

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.