Force Feedback

Started by
2 comments, last by S1CA 18 years ago
Hi, ive managed to get my PS2 controller working with DXInput, all buttons and axis, i'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of how to get force feedback and rumble working? Thanks!
Show A Man A Program, Frustrate Him For A Day...Teach A Man To Program, Frustrate Him For The Rest Of His Life...
Advertisement
Here's what Microsoft says about force feedback.
There is a Microsoft system's journal entry from 1998 which is where I learned about setting up force feedback. It's a little outdated, but it has a long explanation of creating wavy, ramp, and bump effects.
1) first determine whether the adapter you're using to connect the PS2 joypad to a Windows PC actually supports force feedback at all!, and exposes that FF functionality to DirectInput.

Try running the Feedback or FFConst samples from the DirectX Sample Browser in the DirectX SDK and see if those produce any feedback on the PS2 joypad.

If they do, you're good to go. If they don't then you'll have to consult with whoever manufactured the PS2->PC adapter - they may have implemented their own proprietary non-DirectInput/non-XInput API to expose the PS2 pad rumble; it may also need additional/updated DirectInput drivers (since neither Sony or Micrsoft make PS2 DualShock drivers for Windows/DirectInput, it all depends on the adapter manufacturer).

2) If the above samples do cause the PS2 pad to rumble, then take a look at the source code to the SDK samples mentioned above, look at the DirectInput documentation, and follow the link Omega147 posted.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement