Sign in to follow this  
SimSimSan

Base_2, PC shoot/chain-em-up released.

My first game is ready for release. It's a PC game, mouse controlled, featuring 64 levels of challenging gameplay, designed to test your skill and reflexes. It's a mix of old and new playstyles which I hope you'll enjoy. A manual is included in the release package, so be sure to read it, as the scoring method may not be quite what you're used to, unless you're a diehard shmup fan! Screens are available on gamedev here You can download it here Cheers.

Won't work for me :(

25/03/2006 20:02:51 - (: ) Starting up
25/03/2006 20:02:51 - (: ) In full-screen mode
25/03/2006 20:02:51 - (: ) Hardware Transform and lighting supported
25/03/2006 20:03:45 - (: ) Primary buffers 1
25/03/2006 20:03:45 - (: ) Max 3D Sound buffers 64
25/03/2006 20:02:53 - (frmMain: Sounds) Error Loading Sound Files

I'm on XP SP2, GeForce FX5200, SoundBlaster LIVE!

Try your onboard sound if you have any. I had one issue during beta with someone who had the same SB card. His onboard sound worked fine so he re-installed his SB drivers and everything worked.

Cheers.

Fantastic first game. I'm not exactly an arcade games buff, but this one kept me going until the last level. Very crisp gameplay mechanics and rewarding sounds. It did get a little hard to see what was going on on the later levels, but I'm sure that would be easier to discern from experience.

I really enjoyed the analog component to it... rather than many games where you can just go up/down/left/right, it gives you full control over movement to use the mouse. Great work!

It really plays very well. Great effects and sounds and lots of juicy particles.

You really made all the sounds and music? What programs did you use?
I think that's pretty awesome.

Thanks for the early comments. Hopefully the lack of issues posted here is a good thing!

The track was created using Rebirth, slicing multiple loops after a bit of freeplay (it's a tricky thing a 303), to generate the final track. Freaknoise was used for the samples along with a few sample editors to post process and add effects.

Cheers.

It's a very nice, polished game.

But I find it very difficult. I can't get past level 10, and getting relinks on most levels is incredibly difficult (the enemies move too fast and the time is kind of rushed).

Is there an easier difficulty level (besides "normal.")?

Other than that, it's great.

I really enjoyed (and will continue to) this game! A small question. Is there any time when you wouldn't want the bit shielded? And if not, what's the point of that control? If there is no point, I would say remove it, and remove the shield sound. I found that I held the mouse button down the entire time I was playing it.

Really fun, addictive, chaotic and fast-paced. Take a simple concept and go with it. That's what makes good games ;)

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the part about relink and flawless :P

[Edited by - jonahrowley on April 3, 2006 9:23:53 PM]

Thanks for the comments!

To answer a few questions regarding the difficulty and the shielding.

The game is set at a low difficulty. I'd considered a 'kids' mode with very, very slow speeds on all items but this is an arcade game and I didn't want to litter it with multiple options, difficulty settings etc. I compromised in adding an Expert mode, as I was hoping that, over time, the Normal mode would become very easy for some players. I think the Normal mode is a challenge that may be off-putting to some players but it's something that wont be changing as it isn't impossible and there are 3 save points to assist you until you put a few hours practice in :)

Ah, the old 'hold down the button question'. It's come up quite a few times :) Yes, you can do that but when you discover the scoring technique (as you have), you wont want to, as you'll break chains and relinks by accident, which is usually what people work out. It's easy to hold down the button, wipe out everything on the level and get really, really low scores but that's not how to play the game and get the most out of it.

I'll put up a play-guide on the website for the first 7 levels if I get more and more feedback like this, as I'd hate to think that people aren't 'getting' the game. It's all in the manual though, so a quick read should prove to be beneficial to your scores.

Cheers,
Sim

[Edited by - SimSimSan on April 4, 2006 1:21:24 PM]

Sign in to follow this