Info

Started by
8 comments, last by cocaroach 18 years ago
Ok I tryed to program in Python, C++, and html but never realy truely got it. My question is im going to be attending UAT here soon for Game Design, and im kinda worried about failing or not doing so well. or even getting burned out. What are some info on C++, html or java script some realy good resources that I can read up on and try? ALl help is well appreciated
Advertisement
Well, you're going to have to use HTMl if you ever want to make a professional-quality hockey game.

For everything else, C++ or python is good. Do you have any books on C++/Python? Books really help.

(ignore the first sentence)
How exactly have you tried to learn? I suggest getting a good C++ book and just go through it. That is a good way to learn. You will definetly get some C++ training wherever you go for game developement so I wouldn't worrie
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Well lol I wanted to learn HTML so I can start creating and working on my website stuff better me do it then others. Also no I dont have any books I did have but for some reason I lost them some how. Thats why I was wanting net tutorials.

thanks for all help
You don't have to be good at programming to be a game designer. It helps though, because some sort of programming is frequently involved.

BTW, HTML is not programming and it is not used in game design.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I understand that HTML is not a program the reason I was wanting to become good add website development is that I will need to have website built, and why not do that my self. Also what do you mean you dont have to be good at programmin g to do Game Design are you being sarcastic? Another thing I cant draw a straight line to save my life, not being able to draw wont affect anything will it?

Sorry for all the noobish questions but I appreciate all of the help
Here are a few tips: First of all: when posting in a forum, having a descriptive thread title will greatly increase the chance that someone who can help you will read the thread. The people you are trying to reach are looking at this forum to find topics they can help beginners with. For example, if I know a lot about OpenGL, I would be inclined to click on a thread called "OpenGL Problems!". See how "Info" is a useless title? I dont mean to be a jerk, but communication skills are very important, and it seems like improving yours should be your top priority right now.

Moving on. You ask about programming, drawing, and website development. All of those things are worth learning. You shouldn't necessarily worry about how it fits into the field of "game design". Actually, this reminds me, here's a great resource on getting a job as a game designer: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html.

One last piece of advice: drop your fears about failing or getting burnt out. It is way too early to doubt yourself. If you aren't any good at programming yet - Don't worry. Most of your classmates won't be either. Your fears are completely unfounded and may undermine your efforts before you even start! Once you start your university education, work hard and expect to excel.

[EDIT- Another forum tip: Read forum stickies]

[Edited by - Brien Shrimp on March 26, 2006 7:57:27 AM]
Brien Smith-MartinezGarbage In, Games Out
Quote:Original post by cocaroach
...Also what do you mean you dont have to be good at programmin g to do Game Design are you being sarcastic?

I'm not being sarcastic -- game design is not programming. The game designer designs the game, builds the levels, writes the scripts, and balances the game. Writing scripts generally involves programming, but many types of games don't have scripts. So, you can be a game designer without knowing how to program. However, it helps to know programming so you understand what is going on. Also, if you are making your own game, you will probably need to learn programming, because it can be difficult to find someone to help you.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I'm sorry this was before I started researching lolI thought Game Design was Programming and visversa. Thanks for all your help
Also I baught Beginning Game Programming by Johnathan S. Harbour. He goes on to say that ill need to read up on a good C++ primer, Whats some good free tutorials around the net?

Found thanks for all the help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement