• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamwil

debugging full screen applications in Visual C++

This topic is 6338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, Newbie to the forum here...and I was wondering if anyone could help. I''ve been playing around with game programming lately, but my app keeps crashing...so I was wondering what was a good way to debug full screen applications. I have a dual monitor setup going, and I was hoping to use Visual C++''s debugger. However, when I try to step through the program, my app quits on me when it hits a direct draw call, so in essense, I really have no way of pin-pointing when my application crashes. Am I missing settings in Visual C++? Does anyone have good techniques for full screen app debugging? How do game programmers debug their programs? Thanks Wil

Advertisement
Actually, this is an interesting topic, I would like an answer to it as well. If I''ve tried to debug my stuff, I usually have to shut VC++ down once the DirectX stuff hits. Any information would benefit us both

If anyone out there using VC++ could help, I''d appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave

I would like to know a good way to do this also.... Usually when I debug a full screen app, it doesn''t crash, it hangs, so I can''t access the VC debugger.

The Shaz

"I don''t want to be a pie... I don''t like gravy." - Babbs, Chicken Run

SuperNova Games

This is the fact: you can''t use MSVC''s debugger while in DX fullscreen mode. It just won''t work. There''s no way around it. Anyway, you should be creating the program in windowed mode first and THEN porting it to full screen. Its MUCH easier to debug that way.

i debug fullscreen apps using the ms vc remote debugger...
but u will need 2 networked machines both with visual c++.
Enable remote debugging by setting the remote debugging ip address and set the remote directories. (tcp/ip only)
Then run msvcmon.exe on the remote computer..
When you run the app, it will run on the remote side and the debugger on the local site.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmmm,

I haven''t tried it, but what about the option in the DirectX 8 control panel:

DirectDraw tab -> Advanced Settings ->
"Enable multi-monitor debugging"

Perhaps Microsoft has a solved this problem with DirectX 8?

Has anybody tried this?

Of course, it may not help the initial poster if they are not using DirectX 8.

Traditionally, I have either used windowed mode, or debugged via a network connection.

I have said this before, and I say it again:
Don''t develop/debug in full-screen.

Your app can''t do windowed or requires special tricks in middle? Well, excuse ME for doing it right. Any app that doesn''t work transparently and equally well in windowed mode as in full-screen isn''t worth the effort.

It''s a cruel world.

I think multi-monitor debugging worked in previous versions of Directx too. Haven''t tried it though, but I''ve heard it should work. If I remember correctly I even read it in the dx7 docs.

Yeah, HWay is right.
Besides, its easy to implement. Take a look at the sample code that comes with the SDK (the D3DFrame code). Its well worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!