• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TANSTAAFL

Leading 0s in Hex Value, C# Style

This topic is 4501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After searching the Docs on this, I still can't figure out how to make my hex values pad with leading zeros using System.Console.WriteLine. I've got it ALMOST doing what I want with:
System.Console.WriteLine("D={0,4:X}", myMachine.Regs.D.Unsigned);

This, however, pads with spaces, not zeros, which isn't nearly "machine registery" enough for my purposes. The c# docs tell me all about formatting phone numbers, dollar amounts, and date/time values, but the only thing it tells me about formatting hex values is that I use "X". Other information: Using VC# Express 2005, making a console app. tia

Advertisement
The alignment specifier for String.Format always pads with whitespace. If you want non-whitespace, you can write a custom IFormatProvider instead.

A better solution is to convert the value you want with the format provider first, then pad as needed. To get a string that pads with non-whitespace characters, use the PadLeft() or PadRight() methods of String.

Example:

Console.WriteLine("47 in 2-byte hexadecimal, padded to 10 characters total:");
Console.WriteLine("|0123456789|\n|{0,10}|", 47.ToString("X").PadLeft(4, '0'));

produces the output

47 in 2-byte hexadecimal, padded to 10 characters total:
|0123456789|
| 002F|

Notice how the format string "X" moved into the ToString() method and out of the first WriteLine parameter. We converted "47" to a string value using a hex format specifier (the "X"). Then we padded it on the left to 4 characters with zeroes. Finally, Console.WriteLine() pads it to 10 characters using whitespace.

To recap, s.PadLeft(m, n) pads s on the left with m - s.Length() instances of n (unless this is a negative number, in which case it doesn't do any padding). In other words, the format specifier "{0,p:q}" is more or less equivalent to [argument0].ToString("q").PadLeft(p).

hope that helps,

I'm pretty sure this should work:
System.Console.WriteLine("D={0:X4}", myMachine.Regs.D.Unsigned);

while i appreciate your help, k2, it turns out that {0:X4} seems indeed to work, and boy am I glad that it does and I don't have to do the formatter way.

Quote:
Original post by TANSTAAFL
while i appreciate your help, k2, it turns out that {0:X4} seems indeed to work, and boy am I glad that it does and I don't have to do the formatter way.

All's well that ends well! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!