Sign in to follow this  
Servant of the Lord

Looking for a few console commands...

In the win32 console app, how do I make a single line italic or bold? And how do I make a certain line colored text? (Without changing the color of the entire console's text) If there is a simple line or two of code that explains how to do one of these, please post and explain it for me. If it is a huge thing, however, could you post a link? I'm using Dev C++, thanks. Oh, and I already know of the system("color 04"); thing, but I want to change just one line. Thanks again!

Oberon_Command    6081
Making text in a console window italic or bold is impossible.

There's some Win32 API calls that do it. I think it's something like "SetConsoleTextAttribute" or something like that, but I don't really know, since I haven't used the console in a while.

Ravyne    14300
I'm not sure about Italic or Bold, but IIRC the old conio.h C library is a lot more flexible than stdio or iostream. I know I've seen it used to set colors on specific text before.

EDIT: Scratch that, conio.h was more of a coincidence than anything else. I have seen specific text set to a color though.

Quote:
Original post by dpadam450
about all you can do with consoles

Thanks. Any other sites anyone? Also, Drew_Benton gave me this awhile back and I've just remembered.

void SetColor(int textColor, int backGroundColor = 0)
{
HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
SetConsoleTextAttribute(hConsole, (WORD)((backGroundColor << 4) | textColor));
}

Thanks Drew!

Still, anyone have a way to add italic or bold text to a console?

Oberon_Command    6081
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
Still, anyone have a way to add italic or bold text to a console?

When I said that it's impossible, I wasn't joking or exaggerating. I meant it literally.

Sure, you can change the font, but it only changes the entire console, and AFAIK there's no way to do it from a running application (you CAN change the font by fiddling with the options on the console, but programs can't do it themselves).

If you want bolded/italic text and other fonts on Windows, you'll have to look into Windows GDI or some other graphics API, I'm afraid.

Okay. I wasn't exactly needing bold text, I was just wondering whether it was possible. Would it be possible(for me) to make one? I figure, the current text is drawn to the screen somehow. If I could figure it out, I could create an option to allow for a second or third charactor set which I could switch in or out. Just wishful thinking I guess, but it would be good practice even if I fail.