Sign in to follow this  
Tradone

Feeling Stupid so Asking General Question.

Tradone    100
http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/index.htm Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Second Edition A C++ tutorial book that I'm sure most people in the development world has at least once encountered. Now here's the story, how long does it actually take to absorb all the materials in here? I mean does the author really expect readers with no prior knowedge of programming to absorb all that in 21 days? This is so hard and I feel so dumb because I've been reading this book on and off for quite some time and barely understand anything after day 8. ( well more like I didn't memorize after chapter 8 ) Another Question is: how good of a programmer are you if you understand everything in that tutorial?

Eleusis    140
The "21 days" in the title of the book is just an exaggeration on how quickly you could learn all of the material if you dedicate yourself to the book. And by "dedicate", I mean, sacrifice your social life and read the book each and everyday for atleast 4 hours.

the best thing todo(in my opinion) is to ge some source programs .cpp or projects .dsw and study them, whenever you find a function(that is definedin a .h(included in program include folder) or a sintax that you dont know search the books that you have for it and online of course.

Tradone    100
Quote:
Original post by frozen_hell1618
the best thing todo(in my opinion) is to ge some source programs .cpp or projects .dsw and study them, whenever you find a function(that is definedin a .h(included in program include folder) or a sintax that you dont know search the books that you have for it and online of course.

yea, i was studying the string class and some STL classes.
they don't seem to use much inheritance

cowsarenotevil    3003
Quote:
Original post by Tradone
http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/index.htm
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days,
Second Edition

A C++ tutorial book that I'm sure most people in the development world has at least once encountered. Now here's the story, how long does it actually take to absorb all the materials in here? I mean does the author really expect readers with no prior knowedge of programming to absorb all that in 21 days? This is so hard and I feel so dumb because I've been reading this book on and off for quite some time and barely understand anything after day 8. ( well more like I didn't memorize after chapter 8 )

Don't try to memorize everything. Memorization will come naturally. Just understand the theory of what it is that you're doing. This, of course, takes a lot of time. I'd say that it'll probably take years to have a really solid grasp on everything in that book, but you'll always be able to develop your understanding. There are always new applications for different concepts, so while understanding when and where to apply the concepts in the book (and elsewhere, of course) is your "goal," you'll always have room for improvement. That said, expecting to have a good grasp of the language in 21 days is not plausible.

Quote:
Another Question is: how good of a programmer are you if you understand everything in that tutorial?

Good enough that if you learn how to properly access hardware and understand the math behind what you're doing, you'll be able to make just about any sort of game. But in a relative sense, that's hard to say. One can "understand everything" in the book, but really only sort of know when to use one thing and when to use another.

Boder    938
This always confused me. Is it ISO C++ and ANSI C? Or is it also ANSI C++?

And for plain text, what is the difference between ASCII and iso-8859-1?

Kylotan    9860
Tradone - you can work through the material and accomplish everything in there in 21 days. But you can't easily measure how well you've actually learned it. There are aspects of C++ that were second-nature to me 5 years ago but which I would struggle to recall at the moment. What that book will give you is a crash course and something you can refer back to. It's not going to make you an expert, but nothing will in that period of time, as learning is typically an ongoing thing.

Boder - ANSI and ASCII are American standards. Often, if an American standard is good enough, it will be adopted by ISO, which is an international standards body. So the two terms are pretty much the same (although no doubt someone will be able to point out that maybe there are minor differences between the C++ standards, trivial to nearly everybody). The issue with ASCII is a little different though, in that the ASCII standard covers values 0-127, which form the first half of the values in iso-8859-1, which is essentially ASCII plus some characters that Western Europeans and Americans find useful, filling spots 128-255.