Sign in to follow this  
lining

Bone space in Cal3d

lining    122
I'm writing a converter from FBX to Cal3d, but the bone space in the cal3d skeleton file make me confused. I've red many documents, include the cal3d document, and i understand, the bone space should store the bind pose matrix in world space coordinate system. Cal3d's document said, the bone space matrix tranform the vertex from the model space to bone's local space, and every bone can have only one bone space matrix. But in FBX, the bind pose matrix is quite different, every bone has a bind pose, and every mesh too. The mesh's bind pose matrix transforms the vertex from model space to the world space, and then the bone's bind pose matrix transforms the vertex from world space into bone space. My questions are: 1. Cal3d's bone space matrix brings the vertex from the model space to bone's local space, is that means, there can be only one mesh bound to a bone? 2. Should i use the bone's bind pose matrix in FBX as the bone space matrix in cal3d? Or i should invert the bind pose matrix before i store it in the bone space matrix in cal3d? 3. The position and normal of mesh vertex in Cal3d are in world space or model space? Thanks for help! [Edited by - lining on March 25, 2006 8:32:36 PM]