New Game Texture Book

Started by
-1 comments, last by TextureArse 18 years ago
“3D Game Textures: Create Professional Game Art Using Photoshop” Author: Luke Ahearn Publisher: Focal Press I just completed a book on game textures. To learn more you can read below. You can also access more information on my website and on Amazon. I included the publisher’s description of the book below for your reference and my thoughts on the book at the end. Thanks Luke Ahearn http://www.lukeahearn.com/html/books.html http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240807685/qid=1140056161/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-2292764-2980937?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 Book Description Learn how to create stunning, professional-quality game textures from an award-winning industry expert. This book is your one-stop-shop to learn everything you'll need to know about texturing game worlds, from the research that goes into creating a world to tips, tricks and tools of the trade. Learn how to create everything from bullet holes and flames to windows and walls in tutorials that walk you through the process of developing textures (game art) for the most common game settings--from modern urban to fantasy--based on professional concept art. Most importantly, you'll learn how to think like a game artist. Each tutorial begins with the instructions you'll most likely be given on the job, then walks you through the research and planning phase to the process of building textures for the scene at hand. You'll learn not only what goes into building a game world, but you'll also come away with a complete, professional portfolio to help land your dream job. • Learn everything you need to create stunning, professional textures from one easy to follow guide which features tutorials and over 500 high-quality images • Follow the step-by-step tutorials to learn how to create suitable images which you can add to your portfolio and WOW prospective employers • Companion CD includes sample textures and electronic versions of images you saw in the book all the tools you need in one place! • Hit the ground running or get a leg up on the competition with the tips, tricks, and real world examples featured in this comprehensive guide Author Notes In the past few years many books have been written on game development. More information than ever is available on the Internet and many colleges are offering courses—even degrees—in game development. Of all the numerous topics that fall under the large umbrella of game development, texture creation is among the most important and fundamental. Yet, to my knowledge, there has never been a thorough treatment of texture creation. The big picture of texture creation involves much more than learning to use the Offset Filter in Photoshop. My goal with this book is not only to show the reader how to create game textures, but also give them a basis for understanding the larger picture of game development as it pertains to texture creation. The difference between a good artist and a good artist that can function as a member of a high-performance game development team is the ability to do good work fast and efficiently—and contribute to the forward momentum of the project. I approached each of the projects in the book with all this mind and tried to give the reader a feel for the various situations they may find themselves in as a game artist. Thanks Luke Ahearn - end -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement