• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jdastridge

OpenGL [solved] Creating an overlay in an application which is not mine

This topic is 4497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've recently come up with some ideas for a project but it requires me to display an overlay to show some data during the host program's execution. The host program uses DirectDraw7 / Direct3D7, and I know how to create an overlay, but.. My problem is, how can I create an overlay if I don't have the pointer to the IDirectDraw7 interface? I can't create a new one because you're only allowed one per process, and a proxy DLL is not an option as the application will close itself if the loaded ddraw.dll is not the one from system32 directory. I know this is very much possible, as this program uses the technique to display the framerate, I believe. It injects fraps.dll into each running process and if the program is using OpenGL/DirectDraw/Direct3D, it is able to show the framerate clearly. Any ideas how this is done? If it's not with an overlay then how? Thanks in advance for any help. The program is basically going to be a message displayer for showing each client the message broadcasted by a tournament host at a LAN cafe. Showing the next opponent, how long is left in match, etc etc.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!