help(c++ api)

Started by
3 comments, last by CTar 18 years ago
Whenever i try MessageBox(NULL,"CAPTION","NOTE",MB_OK); it hits me with ERROR c2664: cannot convert parameter 2("CAPTION") from 'const char[7]' to 'LPCWSTR' (i am running MSV2005 profesional,and i dont think the header windows changed so much) Why is giving me this ERROR? Thanx for reading this.
Advertisement
it has to do with unicode, i gues.
changing project properties->configuration properties->general->character set to 'not set' should help.
You are building with the Unicode Win32 API.

Either turn it off:
Project Properties -> Config Props -> General -> Character Set = 'Not Set'

Or use Unicode strings.
MessageBox(NULL, L"CAPTION", L"NOTE", MB_OK);
real thanx mean,real thanx now why did it gave that error,i know unicode is a 64 buffer?
Quote:Original post by frozen_hell1618
real thanx mean,real thanx now why did it gave that error,i know unicode is a 64 buffer?

I dont know what you're talking about with the 64 buffer, but C++ has two types used to represent characters (can also be used for numbers) char and wchar_t, on most current platforms char is used to represent an ASCII character and wchar_t is used to represent an Unicode character. When you have your character set, set to Unicode the Win32 function will accept strings like this:
LPCWSTR, which is a typedef for const wchar_t*
If you have your character set, set to multi-byte it will accept a string like this:
LPCSTR, which is a typedef for const char*
You passed a const char* (well actually const char[]) to a function expecting a const wchar_t* and it couldn't convert it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement