Games tutorials from start to finish!

Started by
27 comments, last by Gameteen 17 years, 12 months ago
(OK, here is a reposted update, with a few more tutorials. More to come!) Maybe it's just me, but does it seem as if most tutorials online teach technical things, without showing how they apply in gamedev? For example, while many tuts teach SDL, I have only found one that handles setting up a basic jumping game using SDL. So, this thread is a place to post tutorials that teach a game from start to finish( the tuts don't have to teach the language and API). Here are some of my links: EDIT: Thx to Simon10k for placing these these all together, and posting more links along with Invisal. You rock guys rock! All in one place =) setting up a basic jumping game arcade games in SDL(other cool things too) scrollersin SDL(also some OpenGL) DirectX platformer online java game Asteroids in SDL WYSIWYG game editors, map editors, resources, and game engines lots of complete game dev source, check out the rest of the site too strange, but it looks like a complete game,so what the heck! free tuts on C++, win32, DirectX, OpenGL, and Physics good for templates scratchProjects.com Tetris in an hour An awesome game maker! We use it all the time to prototype and try new concepts! I didn't have a good experience with this, your's might be different Tons of free games and Dev Tools! OK, this is good for beginners, includes OpenGL and DirectX. Teaches Pong, includes source for pacman, pong, tetris, and breakout! You might want to read some other beginner tuts before this one, cuz it swamps you with unexplained code in the first chapter. But hey, Asteroids! Breakout in Direct3d! Need I say more? This looks like a good site Wrath Lands text-base rpg video tutorial from start to finish Space Breakout - 2D Game Developed using DirectX and C# falloutsoftware Killer Game Programming in JAVA PS. Please post more,as long as they cover making a complete game. Thx for the help guys! Please post here if this has helped you at all. I want to know how many people this is helping. [Edited by - Gameteen on March 30, 2006 10:19:02 AM]
Disclaimer: The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any sane person, and may in fact, contradict such views. Deal with it. ;)
Advertisement
Well, I know some people are reading this post, please give some feed back if you want more links!

This is kind of off topic, but these links are helpful for non programmers, or for prototyping:

WYSIWYG game editors, map editors, resources, and game engines

lots of complete game dev source, check out the rest of the site too

strange, but it looks like a complete game,so what the heck!

free tuts on C++, win32, DirectX, OpenGL, and Physics

OK, that's it for now, I'll be back with more soon. Please give feedback(We craves it, precious, don'ts we, yes) and feel free to post your own complete game tutorial links. See ya!
Disclaimer: The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any sane person, and may in fact, contradict such views. Deal with it. ;)
i found http://www.is.pku.edu.cn/~qzy/cpp/vc-stl/templates.htm good for templates...
Those sites are awesome. I always preferred learning from real projects rather than code snippets. You get a better understanding about how it's used. I'm hoping to get similar tutorials for my site.
scratchProjects.com :: Programming the world from scratch
Thx for the feedback and tut! Sry, I was gone all day, so no updates now, maybe in an hour. Check back soon!
this one is one of my fav's: Tetris in an hour
More links =)
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
What programs should i use? I think i need to download a few any one know wich ones im looking for?
Quote:Original post by Popc0rn
What programs should i use? I think i need to download a few any one know wich ones im looking for?

I think that it depends on what you want to program. I can't tell you which you want to use because I don't know what you are looking for :)

Amazing isn't it?
------------Something useful could be written here...
Thx for the link and feedback. No more links tonight, but check back soon. Please remember that I can't link to everything on the web, I need a little help. So if you find more, Please post a link! Thx again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement