Sign in to follow this  
drackill

Volunteering as a student

Hello, This is just a general question; I’m currently in my first Year of Computer Science at University in England. I was hoping in my second year to attempt to see if I can do any free work experience while studying as to gain some experience within the games industry which as I know can be fairly difficult to get into after graduating. So I’m basically just wondering do developers/publishers normally allow computer science students to volunteer? Would be nice if anyone could share his or her experiences or perhaps their company’s position on this subject. Thank you in advance (Hopefully I posted this in the right forum)

I know that around here (central Florida) there is a lot of opportunity for undergraduates to get experience. We don't have a log of game industry, but EA-Tiburon is here and they do take interns.

What we have a LOT of though is simulation industry (which, in many ways, is the same thing). There are TONS of student positions available, most of them paid and long-term. Working in one of these positions was one of the most helpful things for me, and I got so many job offers that it became ridiculous. I was called by EA-Tiburon, but I wasn't particularly interested in that one.

If you have a placement office at your school, take advantage of it. Get any experience you can get on your resume, especially in a related field if possible (something involving spatial, 3D type stuff is helpful for games). When you graduate, you'll probably be able to pick your job if you do well.

Quite a few studios will accept interns but you need to organise well in advance because places are very limited. Unless your Uni has contacts in the industry you will need to do the leg work yourself.

Hi, I'm currently applying for work placements for my uni course, and right now is when you want to be applying. In two months time most of the undergraduate places are gonna be filled, so I'd start seriously looking now.

I think they would accept a CS student, as long as you have a decent portfolio of demo's then there's no reason why they wouldn't. Thing is the placements I'm applying for are all full time, usually 8 months minimum, so theres no way you could still study at the same time. My course is a four year one, with the third year hopefully being a full year of work.

Well, thats all relevant to work placements I guess, but I cant really comment on whether or not they would just take you on for a little experience while you're studying, but I'd think it pretty unlikely. You could try emailing some companies and trying though, you never know.

Hope some of that was useful to you =)