I'm going to create a game as project work!

Started by
15 comments, last by Jockel 18 years ago
I intend to use the quake 3 source code to create a game ALONE, I will try to implement the rlights mod for quake 3 too. Suggestions, please!!! adieu!
I Have Awoken.
Advertisement
Um... suggestions about what? Just don't get too ambitious if this is your first project, else you'll be swamped so early and probably be forced to give up.
IT is my first time! That's why I'm asking for suggestions, tips and tricks on how to go about completing the game would be nice.
I Have Awoken.
How much programming knowledge and experience do you have? If the answer is "None" or "Very Little", you have no business fooling around with the Quake 3 engine.
Heres a suggestion. Don't go 3D for a first project. It just dosen't work. I tryed OpenGL and am currently on the road to failing miserably. I've decided to cut all that out for now and go back to 2D. You need at least a basic knowledge of console programming to get a basic feel for the language you are using and a reasonable to good knowledge of Win32 API programming. I hope I've helped.
Regardz,UnknoneCheck out my site! Click Here!
I've actually got very decent knowledge of C. Though I'm currently working on Visual C++ 2003, I'm also studying opengl and game dev books, I still have'nt finished my work on tetris and pinball yet!!!
I have to get to work on the quake 3 source ASAP!!!!!!
I Have Awoken.
This will be good research for my new hypothesis....

I'm trying to prove that the number of extranneous exclamation points used in a post is directly proportional to the rate of failure for a project.
if you started and didnt finished a tetris-clone,then you will go nowhere with that 3d engine.It may seem extremely easy(and indeed it is,I can make it for several hours maximum,but hey,I am already "thinking" in 3d) , but it is a necessary expirience to finish a little game,just to see how the game logic goes,such as menus,game cycle,input,output,movement,physics,maybe sound,etc.
Quote:Original post by kaydash
I've actually got very decent knowledge of C. Though I'm currently working on Visual C++ 2003, I'm also studying opengl and game dev books, I still have'nt finished my work on tetris and pinball yet!!!
I have to get to work on the quake 3 source ASAP!!!!!!

If you haven't finished two other relatively simple games that you've already started, I would recommend against trying your hand at a 3D engine. One of the posters above me already mentioned all the lessons you need to learn that can only be accomplished by doing it. In addition, you need to be able to have the dedication to actually finish projects that you've started. If you can't focus on any thing at a time and just switch to what you think is cool for the moment, you'll never get anything done.

Finish your pinball and tetris games. Once you do that, you'll be much better equipped to do something more advanced.
I WAS going to finish my original projects(By ASAP I meant I was going to get it done and get to work on the Q3 engine without delay), I wanted some suggestions on how to work(get an easy feel) on the engine! Maybe I need to go talk to some of the people already developing games with the q3 source, anyone got link/s?
As for hypothesis guy, man "GO HOME!"
I Have Awoken.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement