Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zoney

Still direct3d7 after installing directx8

Zoney    122
Well, this is the second question from me here in just a couple of days... anyway I just installed directx8 and it seemed to work fine only when you look at what versions you''ve really got it says that I''m still using d3d7 but all the other stuff (ddraw, dsound) are version 8 And when i tried the d3d examples in the directx 8 sdk (the ones in samples\multimedia\direct3d) they all give me some messagebox at startup saying my videocard doesn''t support this stuff (and I''ve got a Geforce 256, shouldn''t that support this stuff?) Are these two things connected? Well it''s quite a mystery, so I would really like some answers...

Jonus    170
Have you deinstalled the DX7 SDK before you installed the DX8 SDK? You should do this. Furthermore what have u downloaded the complete SDK or only partial? If partial have u downloaded the DX8 runtime and installed it?

Edited by - Jonus on January 28, 2001 5:30:27 PM

Zoney    122
Hey Jonus... thanks for the texture tip.
I have downloaded and installed the directx8 runtime (swedish edition since I''m a swede) and the partial c++ direct8 sdk (44mb)
I didn''t think that you had to install or uninstall the sdk, it seems to me you only have to unzip it and then delete it.
Does it really matter if I keep the directx7 sdk (cause I''ve heard some people saying that the dx8 sdk works bad with code meant for dx7 sdk or less)?

Zoney    122
You were right. All I needed to do was install it (doh)
I fought that U just needed to download not install it too...
anyway, thanks

Jonus    170
quote:
Does it really matter if I keep the directx7 sdk (cause I've heard some people saying that the dx8 sdk works bad with code meant for dx7 sdk or less)?

I don't think that you can compile a program written for Dx6/D3D7 when have installed the Dx8 SDK, without that version difine thingy
( ... err can't remember ... has something to do with com) or updating your sourcecode.

Edited by - Jonus on January 30, 2001 6:38:46 PM

You can still use directX 7 features in directX 8. As a matter of fact, for 2D blitting, you HAVE to, because "Direct Graphics" is ONLY 3D. As long as you have the correct (old) *.lib files in your project, it will work fine. I''m using DirectDraw 7 exclusively in my game, but DirectInput 8.

One warning though...for some stupid reason, they decided to remove all the documentation on DirectDraw in the v8 SDK help. Make sure you still have the v7 help files handy if you plan to do any DirectDraw7 stuff.

Todd M. Gillissie
gillissie@yahoo.com