Sign in to follow this  

Help finding tutorials online

This topic is 4284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to find tutorials online about making your own video games, I can only find these word RPG's. Though I really want to make a video game, and maybe a game engine for it, though I don't understand how you can put in graphics and all that for the game into C++ code. Please help me if you can.

I am assuming you have already learned C++. You need to download and read tutorials on a game engine or a graphics Library. SDL and Allegro are very easy libraries to setup and use for 2D. For 3D games I suggest using Irrlicht, which is also very easy.

www.allegro.cc
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Guest Anonymous Poster
yes, but can you use these things and sell them, what I mean i, can you really call these your own. If i can't than how do I make my own engine like that and create it own my own

Guest Anonymous Poster
And I have been looking at the tutorials and I don't understand still really how to put the graphics and stuff into the C++ compiler

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm am so very confused at how all this works, it's giving me a headache

the C++ standard doesnt come with any solution to do graphics.

So, to do graphics you need to interact with the operating system (which provides functions for graphics by DLL's or other way).
In the days before clever operating systems (the days of DOS) people had to use assembly language to interact with the hardware (video card or bios).

To use the OS (operation system) you need to learn more than just standard C++.
to use windows you need to learn Win32 API (for C code), or MFC (C++ wrapper of win32).

But... thats alot of learning to do, and the solution you get will work only on windows. A better solution is to use a library (say, SDL or Allegro) where someone made the hard work and wrote code that will work with windows or linux or other OS.

This way you can get it to work faster (this libraries wrap in a few lines what would take dozens of lines with win32 functions) and also you get the extra bonus that the same code will work on different OS, so I strongly advise to learn one of those libraries and not make your own.

For example of how to do graphics in windows (WIN32, with openGL) see Nehe tutorials. Notice there are lots and lots of lines just to open a graphical window.

Iftah.

Posting several messages one after another in a short period of time is called spamming, be careful with that.
On your question: Try taking things gradually. There is small chance you'll build your engine in the next couple of days so cool down and take a thing at a time.
To make a game you will need:
1. A programming language to writte you game.
2. A graphics API so you can add graphics to your game
3. A compiler to compile all the code you've written for your game.

For each of the points mentioned above you have multiple choices. A good start would be to make a search on this site for the words marked with bold. Use the search field from the upper-right corner on the page.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Do yall think that I should buy a book on C++ game programming, because I know the basics of C++ but when I see all these graphics programming for games and stuff I don't understand any of it. Why is this, I just want to grasp it. But I don't know where to start, I have figured out that I want to use the C++ programming language. I'm not sure about the API yet and I have a compiler. I have looked at all of the website that yall have sent me, though some of them just look like they have stuff already made for you to put into the game, I don't really want to do that, I want to make the whole thing myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do that whole thing from like binary numbers and such, though I do want to make my own sounds and graphics. Will I have to spend a lot of money to do this, will I also have to hav a great talent in drawing. Some one earlier said that when I was posting it was spam, so I decided to put all that I was thinking into one big post.

This topic is 4284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.