Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh12

How Far Am I From DirectX and openGL?

Im sort of an absolute beginner and am currently reading the book- "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson.I just want to know how far am I from programming with DirectX and all that other cool stuff? Right now im learning about using more than 1 function. Thanks in advance, -Pharaoh12

Well you don't have to use OpenGL and/or DirectX to start programming graphical games.

I use a 3rd party library called SDL. To start using it you should have a good handle on:

Operators (+, -, *, /, ++, --, +=, -=, etc)
Controls (if, else, switch)
Loops (while, for)
Functions
Structs
Arrays
References
Pointers
Classes and Objects
How to use a template.
Bitwise and/or.

To actually answer your question, for OpenGL you don't need to know as much as DirectX becuase it's written in C. You pretty much only have to know as much as mentioned above. But that's just to get started, to more C++ you know the better.

DirectX has an.... interesting archtecture that more complex that's require you to know the finer points of object oriented programming such as inheritance and polymorphism.

Quite some time. Depending on how you learn, and how good your learning materials/instructors are will vary that time quite a bit. Also, if you start before you're really ready it'll really slow you down too.

Just remember, most of the programming that goes into games isn't the 'cool stuff'. Take your time and get a solid foundation.

I second Lazy Foo's suggestion about using SDL. Its a great library and will make creating simple, 2D games a (comparative) sinch. It also supports OpenGL rendering, so once you get past simple 2D graphics, you can use your SDL knowledge to create OpenGL applications.

Yeah that book should prepare you for SDL just fine. And Lazy Foo's tutorials are the best place to learn SDL, so be sure you check those out.

I went from that book to "Game Programming All in One". It will teach you the allegro api, which is good. Get through the other book at least to classes. Some of the class stuff was hard to learn, but you dont need to know it all.

Concentrate on the basics first. Jumping into game programming too early will only influence you to form poor habits and rely heavily on "copy & Paste Coding" ie- using snippets of code from books or the internet that you don't really understand and couldn't reproduce. A good rule of thumb, particularly in the early days, is this: If you can't write the functionality without looking at other source, don't use it. This will become less and less relevant with experience, but for now you should live by it. If you say "But I don't know how to program enough to write the functionality myself!" then I would present that as exibit A that you're not ready to jump into game programming just yet.

I'd also recomend making at least one puzzle/board or "arcade style" game in the console. Maybe tetris, checkers or something like Nethack. I know its tempting to jump into the flashier stuff, but if you don't understand fully what is making it all work then thats all it is, flash.

Now, none of this is meant to be discouraging, quite the opposite. The number of people who quit programming because the got bored of not doing gmes right away is far fewer than those who quit because they jumped into game programming too soon and got frustrated because they didn't have the neccesary background to understand the concepts and material.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think he/she ask How far he/she from DirectX and OpenGL.