Sign in to follow this  
Kincaid

Screenies

Hello everyone, I'd like to get your opinion on some trees i've rendered. The goal was to make a tree grow, given it's own dna. So these trees are procedurally 'grown' from seeds. Please tell me what you think, and what it might be missing. Thanx a lot for all your help anyway. Thank god for Gamedev :) ScreenShots (the above 3 pictures)

They look pretty good for trees, the only thing I noticed is that some parts seem to have the curly Cheeto effect going on. Other than that, very well done!

Guest Anonymous Poster
some alpha ordering is definately needed, I can see all kinds of edge artifacts. Rendering your trees back to front will fix most of your ordering problems. As for the trees, I like the top concepts, because they are actually lit correctly (something hard to do). The pin trees are a little too sharp at the limb edges and again the alpha edge artifacts are really apparent. All the grass stuff looks fine to me.

thanx, the 'curly cheeto' effect is just a parameter. I thought it was cool, but it I guess it may seem weird.... :) It does allow for 'ghost trees' and such :)
alpha ordering???
What do you mean exactly. I draw the board using ALPHA_TEST, and i think rendering back to front is out of the question, since you're never sure whats front to back.
The pine trees in the other pictures are crap though, just something old.
But maybe something with antialiasing???

Guest Anonymous Poster
with the alpha sorting I was talking about the older screenies I guess (pine strees ect). The top 3 trees look fine too me, but the trunks seem way too high poly count to use in an open terrain and like the other poster said, are far too buldged/bumpy. i like that you actually lit the folliage. besides that it they look good. Would be nice to see a field of them, lik eyour other screen shots to really critique them.