[web] Who host your web?

Started by
27 comments, last by MikeWW 18 years ago
I've used Yahoo! SBC (now AT&T) Small Business Webhosting for years now (I think since 2001) after switching from Verio (http://www.verio.com). Pretty happy too, can't complain. About $20 a month, got 10 gigs of storage, 400 GB data transfer, mail integrates with my SBC DSL yahoo account... only bad things are: support is slow and their PHP support is OOOOoooooolllllllddddddddd and minimal. They say typicall response time to support e-mails is 24 hours, yet getting a response a week later is very common. Also doesn't support ASP either. And their blogs for me don't work (they're in beta and it won't even let me activate one and support was useless).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What is wrong about godaddy?
The yearly fee is just for a name (or domain) registering, no?
I think godaddy also takes monthly fee for hosting a web site.

Stay away from it if you can. I've heard a lot of stories of websites going offline for long periods at a time, horrible support, overcharging. Go Daddy review, scoring 2.9/5

I recently just switched over to GearWorx.com. So far they seem good.
Quote:Original post by boolean
Stay away from it if you can. I've heard a lot of stories of websites going offline for long periods at a time, horrible support, overcharging. Go Daddy review, scoring 2.9/5

That's for hosting. I find GoDaddy quite good if you only use themfor domain names.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I've used Godaddy for domain names for years for several domains, and I've never had any problems. Low cost, too.

I host on my own DSL service, with large download files redirected to my speakeasy "home page" which doesn't have a guaranteed service level, but also doesn't charge for transfer.

If I were to run a "real" site, I'd probably go for a $69/month root server at a place like serverbeach, but I'm obsessive-compulsive like that :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
1&1 Internet for the domain names and 1Portfolio for the actual hosting. No problems with either. Oh, and a page on Google Pages, but they only allow 100 files or 100MB (whichever comes first), so that wasn't very useful for me.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by alnite
Who host your web?
1Portfolio host my web! Dynadot domain my web!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I've been using www.valuehost.co.uk for a couple of years, and I haven't got a single complain about them. The most positive things about them are that they have a forum for all customers, and a quick email support.
OK I just sign up at 1portfolio hosting. So far so good, except for a few slow loading when accessing the control panel. I don't know if it's my connection or theirs, but either way it looks good.

Thanks a lot!
i host it myself

and one little advice, aplus.net screws you over.
don't ever trust aplus.net

they deleted 6 of my accounts b/c of credit card fraud that I never claimed and then they put out my client's domains for resale.
and one of those domains owned by my client, we purchased that name for $3400. aplus.net is fucking retarded, they didn't refund me a penny.
on top of that, it took them 9 days to solve the problem. They told me that the trouble ticket will be closed in 24~48 hours and I would be contacted immediately. LIES.
I'm currently looking for web hosts. Does anyone know which ones use php 5? Most just say that they offer php without much more detail.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement