[web] Who host your web?

Started by
27 comments, last by MikeWW 18 years ago
Hi. This is a question to those folks out there who's paying a monthly/yearly fee to host their website. I have finally decided to create my own website just for the sake of doing it, and currently deciding who's going to get my money. Searching for "webhosting" in Google is a trivial task, and Google would spit out names that I haven't even heard of, but deciding which is the difficult one because it costs money. What I am asking is your opinion/experience using a particular host. Yahoo! offered $11.95/month, GoDaddy offers $8.95/year with lots of FREE! stuff. A friend of mine has told his tale using GoDaddy.com and it wasn't pretty. Another friend of mine used Yahoo! and she was happy more than ever. Now there are hundreds of companies out there offering webhosting and domain registration with their best deals, which would you most recommend? Thanks! edit: I forgot to mention that I intend to do some web programming here, ASP/PHP/MySQL/CSS/XHTML and friends, excluding Flash and Java Applets.
Advertisement
I use RivalPro and I couldnt be happier.
I use 1portfolio and have been pretty happy with my service. $20 a year for all of this stuff. I will say the only thing I have ever had problems with was MySql table corruption (twice - first time it was fixed, second time it was not) Only those instances of problems since Sept. 2005. Other than that, I love it!
I am currently hosted with 1and1 UK, however I will be moving as soon as my billing period is up. I was semi-happy with them until last week.

One thing that always annoyed me was their stupid usernames. For example my FTP login name is u123456-nighthawk, you are stuck with the uXXXX prefix on all login names, which is a serious pain in the ass.

however my problem started last week. 1and1 bills you on a 6 month basis, and last friday I got a letter through the post telling me that my january payment had been rejected, and that I had 8 days to pay or my account would be suspended. This was the first I had heard of the payment failing, no emails or anything.

SO i dived straight onto the website, and after 15 mins of looking I couldnt find any way to actually pay. There was a section where you could edit your payment details, which I did, but no button to try and pay. After searching through the extremely poor help files, I discovered that when you change your details, it automatically trys to take payment again.

Again I recieved no emails to tell me if payment had succeeded/failed. Then 3 days later I discovered my website had been pulled. Apparently payment had failed. I went onto the website and entered my payment details AGAIN, to trigger an event. Again no confirmation of success / failure.

I sent a rather annoyed email to support using their contact form.... they dont even use a ticketing system. My website reappeared after an hour or two, so presumably payment succeeded?

3 days later I recieved a reply to my rather urgent email asking for the site to be restored, saying simply that my site was restored and payment had been recieved.

I am taking my business elsewhere when my account expires, i no longer trust their billing system and am less than satisfied with their tech support. 3 days to reply to an email is simply not acceptable.
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
What is wrong about godaddy?
The yearly fee is just for a name (or domain) registering, no?
I think godaddy also takes monthly fee for hosting a web site.
Tip: register you domain name and hosting packages at different companies. This will save you endless ammount of headaches if you ever need to switch hosting to another company. Personally, I use GoDaddy for my domain names and partly iPowerWeb, partly my own server on my home DSL for hosting.

The home server/DSL is for things I cannot host at godaddy, such as source code repositories and other software that needs a root user to install. The iPowerWeb is for the main site and the large downloads.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What is wrong about godaddy?
The yearly fee is just for a name (or domain) registering, no?
I think godaddy also takes monthly fee for hosting a web site.

The friend of mine talked about being unable to log in to his account when he needs it, and something about their file/account management system. I don't exactly remember what he said about it.

@Sander: but wouldn't having both from one company save you money? They usually offer deals like free domain registration if you buy one of their offers.
@alnite: This is not the place to skimp, this is likely the least expensive thing you pay in a month too for what you get.

@Sanders: Heard FAR too many horror stories with godaddy about them locking up domains if you try to transfer them. Heck I ran my own hosting company with a friend for about 3 years and dreaded dealing with them. Domain transfer once took 5 months and a lawyer to get it done finally. But that's just my mileage.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote:Original post by alnite
@Sander: but wouldn't having both from one company save you money? They usually offer deals like free domain registration if you buy one of their offers.

It'll save you about $8 on a yearly basis. Really not wirth my while when switching hosting providers.

Quote:Original post by Mike2343
@Sanders: Heard FAR too many horror stories with godaddy about them locking up domains if you try to transfer them. Heck I ran my own hosting company with a friend for about 3 years and dreaded dealing with them. Domain transfer once took 5 months and a lawyer to get it done finally. But that's just my mileage.

Then register them at a different registrar, but still keep it away from your hosting provider. The problem of having your domain and your hosting at the same place is that as soon as you switch hosting, you need to transfer your domain as well. This takes time and effort by the hosting company you are leaving. They don't feel very inclined to help you since you're about to become an ex-customer. The result: long downtimes.

If you keep your domain separate, you can simply log in and change the nameservers to the new hoster, then disable the old hosting 48 hours later (when the news DSN settings have propagated over the net). No downtime during the switchover. No hassle.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Lunarpages.com

I've been using them (granted, I don't do much with it at the moment) but they appear to be top notch so far.

$6.95/month gets you 400GB transfer, up to 5 GB (if you need it, they will give you the extra couple on top of the 3GB you get by default), php, mysql & postgre, perl/python/CGI, etc., webmail (for up unlimited number of email accounts)...

I can't list it all, just go check out the package:
http://www.lunarpages.com/plan1.php

For like $2 extra a month, they give you Java or ASP (with SOME restrictions, but more than what most of us will use). I've found that all of their claims are actually exactly what you would hope for. Oh yeah, their control panel (for managing everything) is awesome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement