2D Game Programming

Started by
70 comments, last by Cubed3 18 years ago
Wow....I don't know what to say to this really.

He turned down SDL AND Allegro? Quick question though, why you turn them down? Because they are 3rd party libraries? To me, that is nothing. I started out with SDL, and I am really glad I did. I got the basics of Game Programming in, without having to worry about LOTS of tedious stuff in the Win32 API. I personally don't like the Win32 API that much, but that is just me. Now that I am done with SDL really, I am moving my way into DirectX. To me, since you want to learn 2D GAme Programming it dosen't matter the API you choose but you need to choose one. Because, when you are new, you want to learn the concept of it. Not dive straight in, on how everything works. Learn the concept of 2D Game Programming, and make it easy on yourself. Learn SDL or Allegro, then after you feel you are good enough progress more knowledge on C++ and then try to go with OpenGL or DirectX. That is just my 2 cents though.

Chad.
Advertisement
Don't get me wrong, SDL and Allegro look great. But I don't want to get into the habit of using another 3rd party library or engine because then you can't program properly without them. That's why I don't use graphics engines and anyway, I've already looked at OpenGL. But I need to go to the Win32 API to learn certain things, such as how to load up a bitmap WITHOUT any engines or anything. I will still probably learn SDL and Allegro, but that will be after I have a reasonable to good knowledge of the API. Thnx for the help though.

BTW, I never said DirectX is ok. I just said that I wouldn't mind using if I had too. But I probably won't yet, because DirectX is one of the biggest load of rubbish that has probably ever been released by Microsoft. Not because of the programming, but every version needs an upgrade on your computer. And that's a fact so don't try and say it isn't. Some of us don't have the cash, etc. to do that. On a whole for programming, DirectX is good from what I've seen in programming terms.

I don't think of Microsoft as a whole. Some of their stuff and people are actually good. It's just that most is bad, so it's easier to state as a whole that they are bad.

Thnx once again for all help. I appreciate.

Regardz,UnknoneCheck out my site! Click Here!
Quote:Original post by Unknone
Don't get me wrong, SDL and Allegro look great. But I don't want to get into the habit of using another 3rd party library or engine because then you can't program properly without them. That's why I don't use graphics engines and anyway, I've already looked at OpenGL. But I need to go to the Win32 API to learn certain things, such as how to load up a bitmap WITHOUT any engines or anything. I will still probably learn SDL and Allegro, but that will be after I have a reasonable to good knowledge of the API. Thnx for the help though.

I have to say you have some screwy definitions for the terms 'API' and 'Engine'.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

No you don't just use Allegro man. Has a very simple bitmap loading code, everything in Allegro is super simple. Works very well infact.

Most game programmers don't focus on writing the engine, instead they focus on writing the GAME.

Plus the Sams book teaches you had to do eevrything with GDI. GDI, ALLEGRO, SDL, All the same thing so wahts the friggin point if you use one or the other? Other then the fact that SDL and Allegro are much easier and better to use?
Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo

I have to say you have some screwy definitions for the terms 'API' and 'Engine'.

Lol. I probably do. I wouldn't be surprised. Define "screwy" in this context.

BTW, I take back about 1/2 of what I said about SAMS Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours. After a while of staring blankly at the screen and trying to work out the bits I was having problems with, I relised that it gives a slightly better description then I thought. Not quite good enough, but I'll look at it a little while longer. Please anyone who actually understands this book explain the Bitmap.cpp to me :)

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

No you don't just use Allegro man. Has a very simple bitmap loading code, everything in Allegro is super simple. Works very well infact.

Most game programmers don't focus on writing the engine, instead they focus on writing the GAME.

Plus the Sams book teaches you had to do eevrything with GDI. GDI, ALLEGRO, SDL, All the same thing so wahts the friggin point if you use one or the other? Other then the fact that SDL and Allegro are much easier and better to use?

I don't care about how easy something is to use. I will use what I choose to use, when I choose to use it. My opinion is most probably biased on the fact that I believe that if you do something, it should be done properly and efficiently.

BTW I noticed that my rating has gone down dramatically since I started this post (lol. Typical.) What should I do to get it back up that dosen't include getting rid of this post and never speaking or it again to anyone?

Define "screwy" in this context.

Somehow that which loads bitmaps is an engine and those that don't are an API.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Lol. That's not what I'm saying. Engines can do lots more that load bitmaps. And API can load bitmaps. I just don't know how (lol.) I would use an engine, but I don't really want to at this stage.
Ok. After careful consideration whilst doing "Suicide Run" on Ratchet and Clank 3, I have decided to use 3rd party stuff to start with. At least then I can get an idea of what it is to truely program a simple game.
OK. I was looking at Allegro, and it can't find pc.h. Or dir.h. Help me?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement