[Need an advice] What can you do if teamwork does not work

Started by
10 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
Another thing is not to press them too hard to develop code your way. People can be much more productive working the way they like to.

In general you are right. But if I am working in a team, I expect some rules that every one has to follow:
- comments to every method (just what the method is doing, so that I can use it)
- names of variables and constant should represent the meaning (and not names like a, b, c, a1, a2, a3)
- no uncommented magic numbers or better no magic numbers at all
- sticking to the technical specification and not using your own
- working on the tasks you agreed to work on

With those I would be already pretty lucky.

Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
Build prototype/research builds is not a horrible idea either. We routinely do this to experiment with new things. What's important is that he integrates the fruits of that work into the main project. Particularily if he is not accustom to using source control, or not a decent source control tool like subversion, then creating seperate projects to try things could be a good habit he learned in that environment. Give him time to change. Some time later on show him how to make use of the source control tool to create a sandbox branch and how to use the diff to revert changes etc...

I also agree that research builds are a good thing. But in my case my co-worker DID already research on the feature I asked him to implement into the main project. But he was working the whole time on another feature what was absolutely not his task.
Beside that he was shown before how to use our source control tool.

All in all it would be not that bad if he would work on the task we need at the moment and not searching on his own for tasks that seems interesting to him and what we might need in 6 months. Fact is that he's not getting his work done he was assigned to (and which he agreed to).
Advertisement
I'd consider this a discipline problem. The "coworker" seems to do what he wants without caring for deadlines and even direct orders, not only providing no value but also costing some effort to others.
The hard to maintain code, although expensive and maybe fatal in the long run, is much less immediately dangerous for the project.

The main short term solution I see is switching to a very short leash. Instead of just telling him to integrate the changes or work on XYZ while you work on ABC, sit at the same computer and work together; you should be able to extract some information from him and an useful version of the software from his copious output. Stop trusting him.

After the deadline, investigate the reasons for the communication and discipline failure. Some can be guessed by your accounts.

- Do you lack authorithy for organizational or personal reasons? Isn't he afraid to be punished for his insubordination, or at least classified as a troublemaker or shamefully coerced?

- Do you have a loose and permissive approach to management? For example, in no sane environment someone could use MIDP 1 in a MIDP 2 project and waste effort "reinventing the wheel": why did you allow that?

- Does he think you are a moron? A normal person discusses orders and grumbles to convince someone else that they are making a mistake. If he just disobeys without talking, probably he thinks that not only he knows better, but also that talking to you is a waste of energy and/or that you cannot understand what he is doing.

Good luck!

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement