What do I need for SDL

Started by
9 comments, last by Gameteen 18 years ago
Okay currently I'm broke. I was wondering what you need in order to start out programming SDL (programs, good tutorials, ect.) I now know quite a bit of C++ and feel confident enough to move on to the next step. Thank you for all of the help.
Advertisement
All you *need* is a compiler (ie: Dev-C++) and the library (from libsdl.org), both of which are free.
libsdl.org also has links to tutorials as well as the full documentation, which has a beginner's guide.

Cheers,
--Brian
A compiler, the libraries, the documentation, and a few tutorials all of which are free.
Are the libaries all ready built in or do I have to download them? If not built in how do I install them?
Just download SDL and point your compiler to the path of the include files and your linker to the path of the library files.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Quote:Original post by Pwnstar56
Are the libaries all ready built in or do I have to download them? If not built in how do I install them?

This should help you set up SDL. Good luck!
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/index.php
what is sdl ? what is it good for ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer
Quote:Original post by J_mustra
what is sdl ? what is it good for ?

SDL is the Simple Direct Media Layer(I know about the missing M), a cross platform API for games development. It basically abstracts the platform specific functions into one crossplatform API. Commonly used for crossplatform game dev and for OpenGL rendering contexts. For more info see this site. Supports graphics, sound, timers and multithreading. Hope this explains it!

Disclaimer: The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any sane person, and may in fact, contradict such views. Deal with it. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement