Singleton Help!

Started by
23 comments, last by Tradone 18 years ago
This might help: http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/TwoThirdsPimpl.asp

As Gorwooken stated, you do not need a singleton. If you want a global, just make a global.

If you don't place the 'extern Print print' in a univerally available header, you can somewhat limit the scope of the 'print' to only units that declare 'extern Print print' at the top of their CPP file.

But maybe that article will help you out some more in your search for truth.
Advertisement
is singleton supposed to be a complex technique?

well I've been out all day, and for the first 10 minutes looking through this thing i don't understand what the heck its supposed to do! damn im dumb.
Quote:Original post by Gorwooken
You don't really need to use a singleton, you could just pass it like this

Just pseudo code
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

or you could just access the global from the constructor

Path::Path()
{
m_pPrint = &g_print;
}

I think I'll go with the latter.
if I go with the first, I would have to pass the print object to every single class that exists. because the print outputs the error messages, and error messages are expected to be in all classes.

but still, I don't even want to get it from the constructor if I don't have to. I want it to be there automatically, (print is not the only object like this) well I'm keep reading up on singleton, and since I have a bad background knowedge about pointers, I am trying to figure out singleton without even knowing if that would solve my problem. please somebody help me.
i swear, this shouldn't be so hard to do.
I just can't find the right information.

I made a class that groups all the printing functions,
now maybe my Print class should not be grouped into a class, but I did.

okay, in order to access the methods in the Print class, I can't just Print::Header() when I'm inside a Parameter Class.
I need to first declare an object, Print print;
and then print.Header(); meaning, I need to somehow make this object omnipresent in all other objects automatically.

However, I have other classes that need to use that print object, but I don't want to create a new object every time my Parameter class, Configuration class, or my 30 other objects are made. Thus I need to somehow, be able to just print.Header(); without passing anything, or doing anything of that sort. I don't know if this is possible or not, and if it's not, I would like to know the best method of doing something like this.

/*Creational Pattern: SINGLETONAuthor: Rajesh V.SLanguage: C++Email: rajeshvs@msn.com*/#include <iostream>using namespace std;class Singleton{private:    static bool instanceFlag;    static Singleton *single;    Singleton()    {        //private constructor    }public:    static Singleton* getInstance();    void method();    ~Singleton()    {        instanceFlag = false;    }};bool Singleton::instanceFlag = false;Singleton* Singleton::single = NULL;Singleton* Singleton::getInstance(){    if(! instanceFlag)    {        single = new Singleton();        instanceFlag = true;        return single;    }    else    {        return single;    }}void Singleton::method(){    cout << "Method of the singleton class" << endl;}int main(){    Singleton *sc1,*sc2;    sc1 = Singleton::getInstance();    sc1->method();    sc2 = Singleton::getInstance();    sc2->method();    return 0;}

I did some readings on singleton, and still don't get what it's supposed to do. and by looking at this source code, it doesn't really relate to my situation it seems.

Please somebody help me,
I've looked through friend classes too, and I don't think they just do it.

so I'm thinking of just doing it as an inheritance.
placing Print as the base. But that would be poor OO Design. parameters don't derive from print.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
what you want is a Singleton. try searching "Singleton design pattern" on google.

I googled singleton a long time ago.
they have very simple examples, and the main thing of singletons seem to be static member variables. I need that too, but I need the print object to be omnipresent, even to those that are in separate cpp files.
Quote:Original post by kuphryn
In terms of scope, one solution is dynamic allocation.

Kuphryn

not really a scope issue, I don't think I'd ever had scope issues.
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
Quote:Original post by Tradone
screw it. i'm gonna pass everything manually.
thanks for the uneffort guys.

Im still confued what exactly you want... Do you want a single copy of the class shared between various other classes? If so, the only way is too use a singleton AFAIK. I personally am not too fond of singletons, so I prefer just passing pointers to objects only when thy are needed.

Also, If you want help, you are going to have to wait more than 2 hours for it...

please, help me.
seems like the purpose of singletons are to manage static data, I am more looking into passively passing singletons into every class without having to go through a pointer of any sort, because it would be cumbersome.

Thinking about it, I don't think this is possible, so I'm guessing the best method just might be to pass those objects through the constructor phase during the creation of an object.

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Cplusplus/C-plus-plus-In-Theory-The-Singleton-Pattern-Part-2/1/

I found a quick and dirty solution after 2 hours of looking through the net, they explained it pretty well. :D

well, Sr_Guapo. Hopefully you can use this wealth of information.
I don't see a reason to not go with a global.

If you want some justification for not making it a singleton, just allow the user of the class to specify hich stream it should print to. This is useful and it's entirely possible you may want more than one Print object so you can print to multiple streams.

Really, "Singleton" is just a fancy name for "One and only one global instance". If everything needs access to a given instance of Print, that sounds like a job for a global. Why not make a global? Because down the line you may want different parts to print to different Print objects. Depending on exactly what you're printing, this may either be unlikely or the Print instance might easily and logically be grouped with other things you're passing around (e.g. as a member of some "world state" object).

However, I see no shame in using a global when it seems appropriate. Is the standard library poorly designed because std::cout is a global (or does tucking it in a namespace make it "less global"?)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement