Hardware trouble - ATI Radeon 9000

Started by
14 comments, last by Adriano 18 years ago
Hi. I just tried to run my volume shadows code on a ATI Radeon 9000 and I noticed it draws the volumes too... and I didn't ask it to do that! However I already ran the same code on an old 3D Prophet 4500 and on a (quite) new GeForce 6800 and everything is OK. I took a look with CapsViewer and I saw Radeon 9000 and 3D Prophet 4500 don't support double sided stencil, while GeForce obviously does, so I exclude it's a technique problem. Also, program runs on both Radeon and Prophet with D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 (Windowed) adapter format, EDIT: but the former uses D3DFMT_D24S8 depth/stencil format, while the latter uses D3DFMT_D24X4S4. So why do they behave differently? Any ideas about what causes the problem? [Edited by - Adriano on March 28, 2006 2:57:04 AM]
Advertisement
What does the reference rasterizer do? Do you have the latest drivers for all the cards? Are you checking the return value of your DX functions to see if any fail, and do yuou have the debug runtimes installed? (That'll tell you if any function fails, and why)
Thx for the reply Evil Steve.
I don't have debug runtime installed on the Radeon computer as I use it only for testing release versions of my software. I'd rather not install everything on this computer, if possible...
Ref rast gives no problems. I emulated a D3DFMT_D24S8 depth/stencil (EDIT: using single sided stencil) on Prophet computer (where debug libraries are installed) and shadows were drawn correctly.
I check all critical DX functions return value but they seems to work fine. It runs quite ok on Radeon but it simply draws volumes, as if depth write was enabled while rendering to stencil (but it isn't).
Lastly I didn't find any specific driver updates for the Radeon 9000 on the net.
I wonder if this is a strictly hardware related problem, or due to system configuration, or so on...
Do you want to try it on a more recent ATI card? I can try running on my 9600xt if you want. I also have a quad-core machine with a 7800gt if you would like to try it on that as well.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
That would be very kind of you.
Here's the zip file

Download

It's the release version
Also, could you give a screenie of the expected behavior, so I know what to look for?
Yea, looks good here, on both Nvidia and ATI cards.
Here are the screenshots

Expected: (GeForce)
http://www.hostingfiles.net/image.php?id=3579

I get: (Radeon)
http://www.hostingfiles.net/image.php?id=3580

I'm glad to know that on newer hardware it works fine. I hope it's just a local problem... Anyhow any suggestions are still welcome
Thank you a lot this forum really rocks!
BUMP:By the way if one of you guys with a ATI Radeon 9000 can run this program, I'll be curious to see what he gets...
I have an ATI Radeon 9000, so I tried out your program. Here's what I get:

image hosting by imagevenue.com

So I get the shadow volumes shown too, and I'm using the latest drivers.

However I've used shadow volumes in an MDX application and they work fine for me using the single sided stencil method. So I don't think the hardware is the problem.

By the way your program only runs at about 2 fps on my machine, so maybe you have some optimising to do?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement