Sign in to follow this  
chadsxe

Diffrences between scripting languages...

So I am starting to learn about scripts and the diffrent kinds of languages and had a question. It seem not all is created equal adn I was wondering in general what makes one better then the other. Kind of a broad question but it got me thinking. Thanks Chad

I tend to write perl scripts on Linux (some people prefer python) and use vbscript on Windows. Both of them get their job done pretty quickly so it really depends on if you've programmed in any other languages.

Quote:
Original post by chadsxe
So there are diffrent scripting languages for diffrent for the lack of better term platforms?
To a limited extent. .NET languages aren't particularly viable under UNIX right now. Other than that, though, virtually all scripting languages are platform-independent. There's a lot of good ones out there, and their differences are primarily either superficial syntax differences or arcane language theoretical differences.

I suggest this simple test. First, come up with something you might want to use the scripting language for... say, A* pathfinding or a simple AI script. Next, implement it in each scripting language you're considering. This will benefit you in two ways: first, you'll have a good idea of which language meshes well with your programming style; and second, you'll have a passing familiarity with other languages as well.