Security of custom game servers

Started by
1 comment, last by I_Smell_Tuna 18 years ago
This is kind of a hypothetical question, but.. Not that security of a server I do not run would be important to me, but since my server is database driven, could there be a way to allow users to create their own database and have my server aplication interact with their database? I said the question is hypothetical because I don't want to run the server aplication on a server of mine and query from a users database, that would mean I would have to allow the users to host a server from their machines. If I allow the users to have the exe then its highly possible the exe would be decompiled. That would cause a lot of security issues, I think. So is it even possible to allow a user to use his/her database and his/her bandwidth but also know that the server exe would not be decompiled?
Advertisement
Quote:If I allow the users to have the exe then its highly possible the exe would be decompiled.

I dont see your question. If you allow users to have ANY exe that has a potential to be altered for cheating puposes then it is obvious that this will happen, theres no 'highly possible' about it
There are much easier methods than decompiling an exe. Emulating the network protocol is much easier, just look at any bot for IM clients.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement