Horror Game Modes

Started by
8 comments, last by G-Irregular 18 years ago
Ok here is a new question for all you Horror / Survival Fans out there. And yes this question is much simpler than my last one. Ok you all know how most games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and a few other games only give you 2 maybe 3 modes of play. (I am referring to actual game difficulty). Well how would you like it, if there was say more difficulty levels than just easy normal or hard? Yes I know that Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 has like 4 modes of play, and I know that Resident Evil 4 has a new mode called professional. Well do you think it would make the game better if it had 5 difficulty's. Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, Extreme* The extreme mode is just an example. Think of this as adding more challenge to a game when you have more modes to play. Because the game don't just end there...And by the way with each mode you get one new ending. In my opinion, more difficulties would add to the fun of the game. Because it offers more challenging stuff. But I want your opinions too.
Bruce Turner
Advertisement
I think a good idea might be to have like 5 or what ever difficulties, but inside of having it so that you do the same levels, you do it so that easy is the first part of the story and then in normal is the next part of the story, which is more difficult and slightly longer.

It'd probably be a good idea if you did that to provide someway to turn the difficulty on the later parts down (through a console or something) so that if people find it too hard they can still see the story.
Yeah I could do it that way. Of course I am waiting to what others say to. Then make a decision from there. But I can see your point of view. And I will honestly admit that I did not think of playing it that way. And I am glad you said some thing about that. I appreciate your thoughts. It is being considered for use.
Bruce Turner
I think a big part of the horror is the surprize of a monster suddenly poping up. simply increasing the hardness by making ammo scarce or increasing the monster count might discourage people from playing the next harder level since they know where the monsters are goind to turn up. Making monsters pop at at different places or new parts of the story will keep the surprise factor, IMHO.
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Well see I didn't plan on the monsters or bosses appearing in the same places on each mode. With each mode they are going to be in different places. And with each difficulty the locations of the ammo and healing have also been moved. I am wanting to use a random placing system for monsters, items, ammo, etc. I will not let the game go repetitive like that. But I am glad that you have said what you feel. Please keep it coming. I look forward to your next post.
Bruce Turner
rather then the usual increase of difficulty, why not think of a new creative way to increase difficulty, rather then the usual enemies get tougher, lesser ammo blah blah. cause it's getting...old.
I'm a big fan of horror games and I am very pleased to know someone is trying to break the mold.

On having more difficulty levels, I don't think that more is better. Multiple difficulty levels are just an excuse to get the player to play through more times. If your game has excellent replay value, it might be worth it, but overall you're not going to get that strong of a response from it.

Instead, I would suggest 4, maybe even 3. Novice, Normal, Difficult, and Overkill, and you could probably get rid of Novice mode if you wanted to. A well-designed game doesn't need Novice mode, as it would gradually ween even the most novice of players into the game well.

Or, you could just have Normal and Overkill. In this situation, you could make many changes to Overkill mode to make it a truly new experience for the player, such as AI changes, new events, maybe even a new level if you had the budget and time.

I personally would like to see AI changes, especially for the bosses and some major enemies. Have enemies drop from the ceiling, or jump in from around a corner, or break down a door as you're openning it. Always keep the player on their toes.

Of course, this is all from a theoretical standpoint.
Not to sound rude or any thing, but I may keep the levels i got. And here is the reason why. With each mode comes a brand new ending. In fact the game does not in always the same place. I already have planned all 5 ending scenarios. But of course I am listening to all opinions.. And I do hear alot of good ideas... Such as making the creatures harder with less ammo. I will admit that I never thought of that. But I am just wanting to let the player have more choices in this game, unlike other games.. And I am tired of only being to complete the game one way. Like fore instance resident evil 2, you can only take a certain path to get to the end. You can't take them off on a side quest, or let them find another way around, but yet still get further in the game. To me, the player should have total choice on what to do , when to do it, and how to do it. I am tired of being forced to do what the creator wants... They really need to let the gamer should what happens. But that's my opinion...And please dont think that I am not taking your advice or opinions into mind. Because I am..I may use several ideas submitted here by these posts... I just to make the game worth renting or buying in the end.

Bruce Turner
Of course. I was just presenting any options I thought you might be able to use. I'm not offended if you don't use them.

That's interesting, though. Multiple endings for multiple modes. I'm assuming that means the harder the game, the better the ending. I could see how that would boost the replayability, but just make sure the endings are different enough to warrant playing the same game again, and the game is short enough to make playing through a second time feasible.
eh??? you wanna use more harder enemies, lesser ammo? but that is rather ummm...nvm. Uless you give me the permission to be honest then I'll speak up.

anyway, when I mentioned creativity back as an unknown user (see above) I meant something very very very different.
Changing all enemies location is basic, but it's something to twist it around.

E.G: A zomebie is tight areas. Not much of a problem. Nemesis in large areas, already problem. But higher difficulty, harder monsters are then shifted to tighter areas, narrow spots, etc, forcing you to change strategy in facing this monsters. It's not always about how many ammo you have but the strategy to apply in fight different monsters in different areas. This is what I plan for my horror games...though I'm not a developer. But so what? ho ho.
I'm Singaporen???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement