New Genres?

Started by
10 comments, last by TheKnight 18 years ago
Can anyone think of any genres that would create entirely new game experiences? It seems to me that games will become classified based on the experience given to the player, and not by how they are played. Maybe it's because I see clever mixing of genres more and more that actually work.
Advertisement
Genres are born when a new game is popular enough that other big companies start copying it. So, anyone could think up a genre, say... a game where you spend the whole time perfecting a recipe for chocolate cake, and call it First Person Real Time Cake Sim. But the only way FPRTCS would be considered a legitimate genre by the gaming press and fanbase is if that first cake game sold enough copies that other big name companies started producing clones of it.
Agreed, genres are the product of games that are similar, they should'nt be used to create games... that's how unoriginality rears it's ugly head :p But ironicly you could create some interesting games, say a spy racing fps'ing rts pacman clone where you play the market and earn billions of monies, from combining existing genres. I'd call the new genre Cropsickbalphony games (just for the hell of it).
By new genre, you mean a new mix of genres? Because there are only 5 genres in total.

Puzzle
Action
Adventure
and 2 others i forgot

All the other genres of today are all a mix of these genres, like concocting potions, a few of this and more of that.
All my posts are based on a setting of Medival Fantasy, unless stated in the post otherwise
I'm personally building a concept for my own MMORTS game...while not a new genre its not a very expanded one...I've onyl seen like...2...mmorts games ever.
MMOFPRTCS, now THERE is an awesome concept.

*Pulls out concept plan*

Now, point me to the copyrights office!

Peace
Quote:Original post by TheKnight
I'm personally building a concept for my own MMORTS game...while not a new genre its not a very expanded one...I've onyl seen like...2...mmorts games ever.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of a large scale MMORTS. The lack of pursuit by developers in that genre is dissapointing. I can't speak for the market as a whole but, I know I would be very interested in an MMORTS and all my friends feel the same. Imagine building up the economy and military infrastructure of your city/state/empire what have you, but instead of having all that effort come to naught once you beat your opponent and the game ends, your efforts are now long term and effect a delicate global geo-political network of other real people with their own nations. I get excited just thinking about it. There are several free text-based games online that try to simulate the experience but without having that real-time interface, where I can see and control my armies as they deploy and see the graduer of my cities grow, it's just not the same. If anyone with the power to do so reads this, please combine MMO with Rise of Nations. I'll buy it.
Yeah I'm thinking I could use an MMORTS concept as a learning tool. I'm attempting to gather up a group of people to try this with; I'm not too sure how I'm making it, I was looking at the RTS Starter Kit from Garage Games but I dono how you can impliment MMOness on it.
Quote:Original post by Rampant_Tycho
Quote:Original post by TheKnight

I've always been fascinated by the idea of a large scale MMORTS. The lack of pursuit by developers in that genre is dissapointing. I can't speak for the market as a whole but, I know I would be very interested in an MMORTS and all my friends feel the same. Imagine building up the economy and military infrastructure of your city/state/empire what have you, but instead of having all that effort come to naught once you beat your opponent and the game ends, your efforts are now long term and effect a delicate global geo-political network of other real people with their own nations. I get excited just thinking about it. There are several free text-based games online that try to simulate the experience but without having that real-time interface, where I can see and control my armies as they deploy and see the graduer of my cities grow, it's just not the same. If anyone with the power to do so reads this, please combine MMO with Rise of Nations. I'll buy it.

It's called EVE-ONLINE, go play it sometime.
Quote:Pulled fro Wikipedia
A real-time strategy (RTS) game is a type of computer game characterised by

* being in real-time
* being a wargame ("strategic")
* featuring resource gathering
* featuring base building
* technology development
* using direct control over individual units

If you use these, then EVE is not an RTS. I don't fully agree with all of these, but don't consider EVE an RTS either.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement