Sign in to follow this  
Grantyt3

C# Arrays

I'm new to the way that arrays work in C#. I need to have an array to hold block objects for my Tetris game so that I can cycle through all of the existing blocks with a foreach loop. My question is, can I somehow add new blocks to the array without changing the size of the array manually? Or how do I continually add and take things out of the array easily?

Grantyt3,

If you are interested in keeping track of a list that is frequently changed, you should look to use a System.Collections.* or System.Collections.Generic collection object to manage this for you. I think you would probably find the generic ArrayList to be your best bet (The non-generic ArrayList is OK, but it casts everything as a System.Object, so it's kind of annoying at times). Assuming your object was a TetrisBlock, you could do something like this:

using System.Collections.Generic;

ArrayList<TetrisBlock> blockList = new ArrayList<TetrisBlock>();

blockList.Add(new TetrisBlock("Whatever params you need"));
//etc, etc.

foreach (TetrisBlock block in blockList) {
}
// etc, etc.

blockList.Remove(0);
// Or
blockList.Remove(someTetrisBlock);

Keep in mind that you may not change a Collection that you are currently iterating, so you can't add or remove elements to an ArrayList if you are inside of a foreach loop that is using it.

Hope this clears things up,

-Dave

I believe System.Collections.ArrayList is what you're looking for. With it, you can dynamically add, remove, insert, and much more. So essentially, it acts like a C++ vector (though, I've just begin reading up on vectors), only that it's not constraint to a single type for a given instance like a C++ vector. It's usage is also like a C++ vector (array index notation).

- xeddie

Quote:
Original post by Grantyt3
I'm new to the way that arrays work in C#. I need to have an array to hold block objects for my Tetris game so that I can cycle through all of the existing blocks with a foreach loop. My question is, can I somehow add new blocks to the array without changing the size of the array manually? Or how do I continually add and take things out of the array easily?

Thirding my recommendation for ArrayList.