enhancing text based games

Started by
3 comments, last by Fletch 23 years, 2 months ago
Anybody ever thought of putting music into text based games? I''ve been experimenting with it for the last day or so and have had some interesting results. It seems to actually enhance it better than i had thought. It would be interesting to see if somone ever came out with a text based game with music/dialoge, etc. I bet that you could definitely give people a psychological thrill ride with a good story, and properly timed mood music. Like, "You enter into a dark basement, water is dripping from a crack in a wall" and some dripping water noise would play as a little enhancement for you mind..but you get the idea. Hmmm, what do you all think? Has this been done? I''m sure it has, anyone know where i can find an example? I''d like to see how it is.. ok, later all.
Advertisement
At which time you have enough time to implement music into a Text-Based game, you might as well just learn a graphics API.
actually putting the music into the game took about 2 minutes to get working, so there was no real time involved in doing that. What is taking the time is experimenting with timing in the game, things like that. As far as learning an api? Well, i''m talking about text based games, why do i need graphics? I have my own directX library but i have no desire to make any game with graphics at this time I guess. I''m dealing with the psychology behind the storyline and ways to enhance experience without visual candy. Games are too focused on the "coolest graphics engine", and I want to go backwards and deal with story and gameplay first, and maybe someday i''ll just liscense the "coolest" graphics engine. They all look the same to me anyhow, i mean, "bsp, bezier curves, LOD, blah blah" they all copy each other, but nobody really puts thought into the game. I mean, what is so great about all the graphics, if the game itself sucks?
that last anon post was mine, sorry forgot to log in :-)
Okie dokie, so now how to do play music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement