Unreachable port on second network card

Started by
12 comments, last by XiotexStudios 18 years ago
Hi, After putting up with a dodgy on-board network card (NForce2 - which gives seemingly random response times on packets) I finally installed a second network card. After getting the IP address I begin to send packets to it using UDP - and for every packet sent I get an ICMP port unreachable back. Have I missed something? I am definately sending to the right ip address and the port number is 50000. I can ping the card in windows and do all the other windowsy type stuff (like browse the web - talk to our fileserver etc...).
Byron Atkinson-JonesXiotex Studioswww.xiotex.com
Advertisement
I hate to be obvious, but do you have a UDP service running on that port? Where are you pinging it from?

I like using nmap to test my service / firewall/nat configurations.

Winterdyne Solutions Ltd is recruiting - this thread for details!
My setup is two PC's running XP Home.

As I mentioned in the above post - I have been happily communicating with the second PC over UDP on port 50000 but the card was a little unreliable on a LAN. It was okay for the small packets I was sending but it was losing data on large transfers and doing a ping from machine 1 to machine 2 would result in seeming random timescales being returned - never the same twice.

So, I thought I would install this second card. Now all I get in response to UDP is ICMP: port unreachable.

Now, as a test I have attemped to fire UDP packets to all of the other machines in the office and they all get through except for the server - which I would accept.

I have never come across an ICMP Port unreachable before and I am sure the UDP service is running.

Never seen nmap before... any good?
doh - read 'accept' as 'expect' above...
Check the windows firewall settings - SP2 enables it by default on a new connection (ie your new card).

nmap is great for security checking, generally being nosey and anything else you might want to throw a stealthy port scanner at. It even makes guesses at the OS of the remote host by looking for port profiles. Nice.

This nmap sounds cool - will look into it.

I thought about firewalls. I have disabled the SP2 one and also uninstalled the nvidia network manager thingy that I found too.

Still the same problem.

its an odd one.

Going to try another network card tomorrow just in case.

I will kick myself in the nads if this turns out to be a PEBKAC....
I found the problem!

I wasn't listening to the correct port on the second card. And the card/driver reported that there was nothing listening on that port.

Bizzare thing is that if I read on a port that isn't being listened to on other machines I don't get that message - is this to stop port scanners from being effective?

Typo in your socket code? ;-)

Did you play with nmap in the end?
Quote:Bizzare thing is that if I read on a port that isn't being listened to on other machines I don't get that message

I'm assuming you're using UDP. You don't know whether another machine will send a datagram on that port. Datagrams are stateless (connectionless). Someone, somewhere in the world might send you a datagram on that port at some time. Thus, it's perfectly valid (and common) to receive on a port that maybe nobody is currently sending any datagrams to.

TCP is connected, so there, it doesn't make sense to send or receive without a connection (but you can still listen() for connections while there aren't any).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by XiotexStudios
Hi,
After putting up with a dodgy on-board network card (NForce2 - which gives seemingly random response times on packets) I finally installed a second network card.
After getting the IP address I begin to send packets to it using UDP - and for every packet sent I get an ICMP port unreachable back.
Have I missed something? I am definately sending to the right ip address and the port number is 50000. I can ping the card in windows and do all the other windowsy type stuff (like browse the web - talk to our fileserver etc...).

Your card was not dodgy, but the nforce series have an on board hardware firewall on the network card. To use the machine as a realtime server, you have to disable it. (the older series also had a bug which often resulted in random packet drops)

If you are running winxp-sp2, then an udp port is only opened implicitly after a program sends data out on it. Before running a server, you have to open ports in your system. The firewall has no effect for localhost, so you can test the server with the loopback address.

Viktor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement