Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone help explain what the real diffrence between scripting languages are...

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know many are going to look at this as a very general question, but none the less I am confused. I know the bases behind scripts is to define and change variables dynamically but I don't know why one would chose one scripting language over another. For example if I was working one a first person shooter in C++ using OGRE why would I choose lua over Python? or lisp over lua? etc.... Thanks Chad

It's mostly a matter of taste and your design needs. For example, if I need an embeddable scripting language to control my 2d sprites, Python might be a poor choice. It's too big, I only need a very small set of features. But if I need a scripting language to control virtually my entire game, I'll want something with a lot of good features, and if I expect other people to write mods for it, something other people know. Here, Python would probably be a good choice.

There are a _lot_ of scripting languages out there, which one you use is up to you. Just choose one that meets the needs for the design, is easy enough to work with and you are familiar with.

Quote:
Original post by chadsxe
For example if I was working... in C++....

What all questions did you ask to decide on C++ over C, OCaml, C#, Java, Delphi, etc.? (e.g. "Does this language have the features to implement my design?", "Does this language have the library support I'll need?", "Is this language flexible enough to evolve the code as my design changes?", "Do available compilers produce code fast enough to run my game on current hardware?") Pretty much the same questions should be asked when deciding on a scripting language.

I hear lua is supposed to be fast, but that's not to say that Python or Lisp is slow. A lot will depend on libraries, usage, etc.

Quote:
Original post by chadsxe
What about the performance side of things?

It depends on what you need the scripting language for. If all it does is control some cutscenes or something, it just doesn't matter. Most scripting languages are "fast enough", but the one performance issue I can think of is compiling. To save on load times, it might be better to use a bytecode compiled language. It also means you don't have to distrubute the compiler, only the bytecode interpreter.

Well in that case can anyone compare and contrast say Python to lua, lua to lisp..etc

Nothing to in depth, just a broad direction would nice.

Thanks

Chad

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.