• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CodeImp

Different lightmapping approach(es)

This topic is 4500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now, say I have a lightmap (rendertarget texture) for each wall/floor and when the map is rendered on screen, the wall/floor texture is modulated with the lightmap and then multiplied by 2 (TextureOperation.Modulate2X) for nicer lighting (which I do not want to sacrifice). Problem is that the lightmap needs redrawing whenever a nearby light moves/changes, which requires a change of rendertarget, render the "scene" and switch rendertarget back... this is somewhat of a performance hit... so I want to try a different approach. I would like to try a 2 pass rendering method. This I have in mind like this: - Clear screen black. - Use matrices and map geometry (but no textures) to render the lights additive on the black background. This would theoretically result in a sort of global lightmap from the camera point of view. - Now render the map geometry with only its textures and modulate it with background. This would theoretically result in the textured map with lightmap applied. Now how can I multiply everything by 2 like my old method did? The alpha blending renderstates only allow for modulation :( Can it be done with pixel shaders? which version? or am I looking in the wrong direction with this approach? Help and comments on this would be much appreciated! EDIT: Oh shit that wouldnt work, the "global lightmap" wouldnt look right as I cannot both render additive and ignore Z depth, lighting from behind a pillar would come in front of the pillar and such anomalies. HELP! heh :)

Advertisement
As far as I know using the lightmaps goes like this :
1 - texture = base/diffuse
2 - texture = lightmap (modulated to base texture)

And it doesn't need 2x passes, only two texture layers. Hmm.. why do you need to change renderer target, are you doing somekind of render-to-texture stuff?

Or you are doing something much more cooler than I did with my lightmaps? :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
How are you storing lightmaps datas? I don't understand the connection from triangle to texel.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!