background process?

Started by
14 comments, last by raz0r 18 years ago
Hello, i'd like to know if there is something similar as CreateProcess()? I was thinking more in external libraries(as SDL or such). If nothing else, i'd like some links to good tutorials/examples of CreateProcess(). ty
Advertisement
All there's to it.
okay, but now that i've created a new process, how do i execute something(for instance, defrag.exe /f)?
Why not use ShellExecute/Ex for something as simple as that?
because i've never heard of it?
link plz
ShellExecute
ShellExecuteEx
Quote:Original post by homeboye
okay, but now that i've created a new process, how do i execute something(for instance, defrag.exe /f)?

// get system settings to create new processSTARTUPINFO info;GetStartupInfo( &info );// process info struct to get infoPROCESS_INFORMATION pinfo;// launch processCreateProcess( NULL,                  // module name (unused)	       "defrag.exe /f",       // command line	       NULL,                  // process attributes	       NULL,                  // thread attributes	       FALSE,                 // inherits handle?	       NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, // thread priority	       NULL,                  // environment	       NULL,                  // current directory	       &info,                 // startup info	       &pinfo                 // process info);

Note that the command-line argument is automagically executed when you call the function.
ShellExecute(HWND(), char(), "defrag", "-f c:", char(), SW_NORMAL);

Shorter, no? - Though of course, with CreateProcess you get more options, but if you're just looking for something simple, I guess ShellExecute will suit you just fine.
Quote:Original post by raz0r
ShellExecute(HWND(), char(), "defrag", "-f c:", char(), SW_NORMAL);

Shorter, no?

Just to satisfy my own curiosity (because MSDN isn't exactly that descriptive); but does that execute defrag in a separate process? (ie, would the above call block until the disk was defragged?) I guess the choice of function, inevitably, comes down to the desired usage.

EDIT (in response to the response to this post because I'm too lazy to make a new post): Hooray!
Quote:
Just to satisfy my own curiosity (because MSDN isn't exactly that descriptive); but does that execute defrag in a separate process?

Of course.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement