• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Petahpie

libraries

This topic is 4442 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are they exactly? I see them talked about a lot but not really a definition. Is it sort of like an extention of a language with more...stuff? Is it somthing that cannot be defined but can only be learned?

Advertisement
Game Dictionary:
"A collection of routines that are stored in a .lib file to be used at the linking time and are included in the executable file that is made."

Wikipedia:
"In computer science, a library is a collection of subprograms used to develop software. Libraries contain "helper" code and data,..."

Pretty much every language has a "standard library." I'm not sure what languages you are familiar with.

The size and ability of the standard library varies. For the most part, they all let you print to the console, get user input, read/write files, etc. Some languages have large and full-featured standard libraries with networking and windowing.

If you want to create a window for your program, you use a library to give you access to functions that enable window creation. The names of the functions and how they work encompasses the API of that library. You usually download the library with extra stuff like documentation and sample programs, this is a SDK.

P.S. Is it "an SDK" or "a SDK"?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!