How "professional" is SDL?

Started by
15 comments, last by supercoder74 18 years ago
Which is kinda neat. :)
Advertisement
I don't see why you couldn't make AAA titles using SDL. I'm using SDL for all the window management and input for my game and leaving graphics/audio to OpenGL and OpenAL. I think it's a great idea to learn SDL so you can make any of your code easily cross-platform (assuming you keep things like byte-endianness and a few minor things in mind). SDL doesn't seem to be slow or made simply for skeleton programs (like GLUT seems to be). Either way, do whatever you feel will benefit you in the end.

I personally believe a portfolio of working games (using whatever API) will be a nice thing to show prospective employers not because of your technical API knowledge, but just that you are capable of learning and using an API to create a finished product.
there was a professional group of developers: Loki: http://www.lokigames.com/
They didn't developed their own games, but they ported a lot of windows games to Linux
Quote:Original post by programwizard
Could you get a job based on SDL knowledge alone?

You don't get a job by having an SDL knowledge alone; employers expect variety of skills, if SDL can help you demonstrate those skills, by all means use it. Trying to get a job based on SDL knowledge alone, like Sneftel said, is like saying that you can only write a WinMain function.
Could you get the job knowing SDL alone? No.

Would knowing SDL in addition to your other skills better your odds at getting the job? Yes.
I know this isn't 100% relative to your question. But it deals with SDL. LoL. =P

I am actually currently writing a simple engine, for myself, using SDL for input, graphics, and everything else. Once I'm done with the 2D, I'm planning on adding a 3D "division" to the engine. Sorry, couldn't think of what to call it. =P

And I like SDL. It's not complicated at all. I do all my own programming, and it didn't take much time at all for me to learn all I need to know to write an engine using SDL. =)
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
Remember, the game is what is called professional, not the code underneath.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement