• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Ignore case-sensitivity in Visual Studio 7/8?

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there an IDE/compiler option for any of the Visual Studio 7/8 (2003/2005) languages (besides VB.NET, of course) to ignore case-sensitivity? Because this is quite honestly the one and only reason I'm reluctant to move away from Visual Basic. I cannot stand case-sensitivy. I believe a language/IDE should adapt to the programmer, not vice versa. If not, are there any IDE's on the planet that can replace case-sensitive identifiers like Visual Basic 5+? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
The language defines the syntactical rules by which the programmer must abide. i.e. you don't have any choice but to use curly braces in C/C++, you must use asstons of parenthesis in LISP, etc.

Case sensitivity is one of the syntactic rules of C/C++ and therefore cannot be turned off. If you were using a library that was programmed with case-sensitivity assumed and you could turn it off, that library might not compile or would compile with horrible bugs. It's a basic rule of the language so you're stuck with it.

-me

As Palidine already stated, you're stuck with the syntax. However, if you're unable / unwilling to adjust to C++'s syntax, you can give Visual Assist X a try.
When you have it (VSX) enabled, you're able to type in acronyms, lower-case, etc.
Here's an example. In this instance, you simply need to hit return to transform mess into MessageBox.
Seems simple enough, keep in mind though that VSX isn't free, but you can try it out (for 30 days if I recall correctly) to see if it suits your needs.

I guess convenience comes at a price.

Even if you could, nobody else would be able to compile your code. I you absolutely must, just write all identifiers in either upper or lower case.

Quote:
Original post by Tom
Because this is quite honestly the one and only reason I'm reluctant to move away from Visual Basic. I cannot stand case-sensitivy. I believe a language/IDE should adapt to the programmer, not vice versa.

A programming language is like a tool in a carpenter's toolbox. You can't change the intrinsic properties of the tool itself and how it works, only how and where you decide to use it. Try as you might, a saw will never be a hammer.

In this respect, you would do well to get over the aversion to case-sensitivity; that's rather like a carpenter who's scared of objects with sharp edges. Many (and I'd probably say most) modern languages are case-sensitive.

My original point was that the IDE already provides case-replacement for one language; why not go the mile and support it for all languages? I approach it as a design issue, not a language issue. As it's been an inherent feature in VB's IDE for many years, I simply see no reason the C/C++/C#/whatever IDE couldn't do the same (optionally, of course). With features like IntelliSense already blooming, I feel like Microsoft dropped the ball on this one.

raz0r: Thanks for the link. I'll see if it suits my needs.

As Evil Steve pointed out, no one using another IDE could compile your code. This might not be an issue for a single developer, but if you're working on a team it could be. It also throws cross platform development completely out the window - unless it became part of the language's standard gcc would never support this (meaning no OS X or linux support) - not to mention the Intel or Sun compilers (or any of the plethora of others).

Visual Basic supporting this is not an IDE feature, but a language feature. Since C++ is case sensitive, it would make zero sense to have this feature in the IDE.

Most programmers have case rules for identifiers (like types UpperCase, variables lower_case, functions camelCase etc). That way you will remember what case you need in each situation.

C++ is case-sensitive. Instead of trying to find tools to make C++ the way you think it should be, why not just get used to it? I see the same thing with people switching to Linux. They want to make it look and feel exactly like Windows, because it's what they're used to. I guess it's a natural response (of some sort), but it just holds you back. And this is a tiny, minor quibble. It's like saying I don't like Ruby because the naming convention for methods is under_score instead of CamelCase. What does it matter?

Tom,

I started with VB before I started learning C++, and I too was a little worried about the case sensitivity. However, if it eases your mind at all, now I find it to be no problem at all. It's kind of like typing; once you practice it for a while, you'll be able to do it without even thinking about it. I wouldn't let it keep you from trying C++ or any other language for that matter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!