• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n0ob

At wit's end: .X file skinned mesh, strange offset

This topic is 4526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I really need help :( I have these two .X files which I load into my game. They contain skinned meshes with bones and animations! And they load and you can see them in the game. The problem is.. all the skinned meshes I make in MAX do not draw where I want them to. The problem isn't with the animation system i'm using in code, because I have one mesh file that draws in the correct place :) With all the meshes that don't work, if I tell them to draw at 100,100, they appear somewhere around 120,120, and the offset is a linear function of the scale and translation applied to how i'm drawing the object. I've been hacking around through the animation system, and searching through text versions of the animation files, and havn't found anything x_X Part of my hacking around with the animatino system was setting pretty much all the matrices to a simple translation to 100,100.. But still, only the one mesh works, the other meshes drawing with the strange offset. It has to be something bogus with the internal workins of DirectX at this rate x_x I need to know a special setting or method of making the animations in MAX, or figure out how to change the X file to make it work. I think it is pretty lame how I can set the world transform to that simple translation to 100,100, and then call ID3DXMesh::DrawSubset, yet have the geometry not draw at 100,100. The one .X file that works completely ceased animation, as I expected, when I did this. However, all my other .X files (including one I didn't even make) continued animating, at the wrong position in the world of course. So, there has to be multiple methods of storing the data or doing the animations.. If someone can tell me the specific difference that would explain this behavior between two meshes in this zip file: http://www.neffwashere.com/dumb.zip, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Advertisement
Oh wow.. I just noticed something.. I guess the 'good' mesh I have been referring to does not do skinning.. It sure would be nice if I could have skinned animating meshes drawing in the correct positions tho -_- So, let's say the issue has to do with the way skinned.. meshes work..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!