• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sepultang

Algoritm for "boolean intersection" on two models

This topic is 4527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm searching for a class/dll/algoritm or at least a paper on how to use boolean intersection on two objects. I.e. I've got two models, one mesh and one arbitrary model, and I want to generate a new model which is the intersection of the two (the rightmost model in the example picture).

Advertisement
What you're interested in is known as constructive solid geometry, or CSG. It can either be performed at the rendering level using ray tracing techniques, or at the geometry level using brute-force polygon splitting. The idea is that your sphere is composed of a bunch of polygons with normals that face in a consistent direction. This allows you establish an "inside" and an "outside" for the sphere. You use one mesh to split the other mesh, and keep whichever polygons satisfy the boolean criteria.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!