• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

3DSound Min and Max Parameters

This topic is 4425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

while dealing with 3D sound in DirectSound9 (2005 December version) i've got a problem with the min and max parameter of the DS3DBUFFER. what i want to do is a dot emmiter sound. so i have to set the min and max parameters to the DS3DBUFFER to determine the min distance that before it the sound volume is stay stationary and the max distance that after it the sound must not be heared(i.e the sound volume must be zero). but the meaning of those parameters doesn't give the aim. where the min value represent a fade value and the max value represent the distance after which the sound volume stay stationary. i want to be sure that the sound volume will be zero at the distance max from the listener Position and befor this distance is'nt zero. thx. DoomAngel.

Advertisement
Hello,

I have the same problem by my self. I can't really the see use of the max and min parameters as API offers them.

If you are using DirectSoundBuffers to play the sound, you can set the DSBCAPS_MUTE3DATMAXDISTANCE flag in DirectSound buffer capabilites, then the sound will mute after the maxdistance. Note only if you handles the 3dbuffers in software.

At the moment I do not have got a good solution to this. I just let my sound3d enginge do the checking of the sound min/max param and mute it and restarts it.

Nice to hear if you came of with a solution your self :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!