Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows Programming

This topic is 6162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve learned the syntax of c++ and built a pathetic snake game in dos. My question is how to start programming in windows. Most tutorials I''ve found are about syntax, or about Visual C++ which I am not interested in. I''ve searched GameDev and the forums, all sites i''ve found are either broken links or not what I''ve been looking for. I am not really sure exactly what to search for, is learning the windows api enough and where can I learn it? How much will I need to learn about it before being able to do something with it? All help is appreciated

I think the best investment you could ever make is to go out and buy a copy of Programming Windows by Charles Petzold. This book, in conjunction with MSDN will be your best friend. I''m of the opinion that every windows programmer should have this book. It''s pricey, but well worth the cash.

Following his examples and explanations, you should be able to get a basic windows app up and running in no time at all.

GamesToGO: The Console Gamer''s Paradise

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks,
I don''t intend to buy a book yet because I am a still not sure about what I want exactly,
Nice tutorial amag, I''ll start from that